advise on building a computer

b4oba0

so guys...i'm ganna be building a computer...and this will be my first time...very excited...so is there any advise that anyone can give about building a new computer? also any advise on what parts i should get? any comment would be much appreciated

meanman

make sure everything you buy is compatable ie correct cpu for the mobo socket right sort of memory use a static ristband and make sure you wire the front usb ports up right if not you can blow your mobo good luck

JoeBloggs

tips

read the manual for the motherboard. its there for a reason! and pay attention to pin numbering. built my first pc at Christmas and been selling them ever since. Very worthwhile experience

n00b9287

Take your time, its actually quite easy once your up to speed with compatibilty, putting it together after you have built a few takes about an hour if that, my first build took me about 6 hours! but that was including installing the OS.

mrjack

VIP Member
I put together a new computer a few days ago and all I can say is:
-read the manuals
-don't rush anything, take your time

n00b9287 said:
Take your time, its actually quite easy once your up to speed with compatibilty, putting it together after you have built a few takes about an hour if that, my first build took me about 6 hours! but that was including installing the OS.

6 hours is quite a long time to put together a computer and install the OS. I had everything running in about 2-3 hours, this included formatting 160Gb of HDD space, installing XP Pro, installing drivers, putting in the case and getting it wired up and taking it out again. :p

Decadence

can you do something with the ant-static bags as an alternative to an anti-static wristband, since I don't have one?

mrjack

VIP Member
The best option would be to touch a big piece of unpainted metal to discharge the static electricity.

b4oba0

where can i get a static wrist band? and any comments on mobo's? like any suggestion on which i should buy?

rahving

Once you have all of your components shipped to you, go to the nearest, cheapest computer store, pay $50-$100, and have them build it for you. Load new, built computer in vehicle, drive home, and enjoy a computer that works.

bball4life

rahving said:
Once you have all of your components shipped to you, go to the nearest, cheapest computer store, pay $50-$100, and have them build it for you. Load new, built computer in vehicle, drive home, and enjoy a computer that works.
Uh no, that is the not good advice at all. It is so easy to build a computer as long as you take your time and don't just mess around with stuff. But you can get an anti-static wristband for like $10 at any like comp usa, or bestbuy. I used one my first build, kind of a pain, my second one I stood on tile, don't stand on carpet it creates static, and just make sure to ground yourself.

34erd

Took me two and a half days to build my (first) rig... mostly because I was too stupid to look at the in depth manual on my motherboard CD... so I was stuck with an overlay of the motherboards features.