agp card and biostar p4m80- m4 problem

Jg Maximum

I have a biostar p4m80-m4 mother board and xfx gforce 6200 AGP 256 mb video card. Device manager never shows it before drivers are installed. Also when drivers are installed it doesnt work right. I can't run a movie very long and avg will not run a complete scan. wn xp home sp 3 and all latest drivers. Help !!! this is a brand new mother board and a 14 month old card. I have tested this card ontwo other computors and it works great. Also tried two other agp cards in this mother boards and same problem. This is the second mother board what is going on. Intial display is set to agp. On board video is not installed when card is in. Any help would be apreciated.

Last edited:

Jg Maximum

update: This board is overheating to easy. When I run a external fan on the unit with case open, Everthing works fine. My cpu does not overheat it runs at 30 c at most. Seems to or must be chipset, I assume the northbridge. Basiclly anytime i try to transfer files over net work or try to play day of defeat it freezes. Any one encounter this issue?
the chipset heat sink seems to move to easy. any one else have this board?

elitehacker

The north bridge is the link between the CPU, RAM, Graphics card slots (either AGP or PCI-E) as well as the southbridge. Bascially if that is malfunctioning then it means the rest of your computer will as well. If you say that the heatsink can be moved very easily then its quite possible that the culprit is the northbridge overheating because the heatsink is not making sufficient contact with it to dissipate all the heat generated that can explain your raft of problems.
You should try and see if one of the clips that hold the nortbridge heatsink has come loose and try to tighten it. I have expereince the problems that you have described before, but only when I go too far with my overclocking. As you mentioned you have tried two other AGP cards and they have the same problem, so that further points to the Northbridge being the culprit as it handles AGP communication as well. So see if you can tighten the heatsink on the Northbridge and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited: