Alienware Overpriced? Or worth it?

Origin Saint

Hey guys. I recently bought my HP laptop, and my friend bought a Alienware mx14 around the same time. We've been going back and forth for some time now about whether or not he should've got one. I personally, think every Alienware product is overpriced, not to say they aren't great machines, but they charge more because they can. He claims they are better for gaming and have better build qualities, which they are and do, but they charge $600 more than a normal brand name with the same or better hardware. I really think Alienware charges more because of the big brand name, and their sales are probably mostly loyalty sales. Does anybody else think the same thing? I think Alienwares are great machines, but charging more for the same or worse hardware can only mean that they're doing it for the brand. Not trying to start a flaming war, but I'm getting tired of trying to show him that they aren't the best for what he uses a laptop for. He games like once a week, and thats what he payed the extra money for, and he knew that beforehand. Anyway, hope to hear from you guys.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Alienware is overpriced and not worth the price for the performance. Buy a nice ASUS gaming machine if you wanna game with it.

Origin Saint

Well I wasn't saying I was buying anything? I was just asking an opinion, your response sounded like you read the title and thought I was going to buy one lol.

Darren

Staff member
Alienware is just Dell with some lights and a hyped up price. Sure their machines may be okay but they're way over priced for what they are. Agreed with Voyager, ASUS ROG laptops are far superior and much cheaper for what you get. And yes I did read it. :p

Darren

Staff member
Alienware reminds me of the Beats headphones. Sure it's an alright product but it's crazy expensive for what it is. For example my 50 dollar headphones sound better than the Beats Studios that cost 300 dollars. Furthermore my computer cost me maybe 850 or so for the tower when buying a similarly spec'd system from Alienware would be well over a thousand.

Yeah, just overpriced. Like denther said with the beats, overpriced and the $50 pair sounds better. Besisides, pretty much any gaming laptop is overpriced compared to a desktop.

CrazyMike

Alienware is overpriced if it's something that you aren't into.

To me, Alienware is a signature and a person mostly buys that signature. I personally love their chassis (laptops that is). Is it worth the extra $600 like you said? That's up to the individual. Some individuals will say that the $600 gives them a sexy chassis and individuality.

You can kind of ask just about every Apple fanboy. If it's not about the OS that that person is after, then most likely it's the type of build. One of Apple's many signatures are their builds. An Apple fanboy will say that an Apple product is well worth the extra money compared to a PC because of the build "quality" (i put quality in quotations, because i believe that's up for arguement). Not every person agrees with this, thus making it the buyer's preference.

My mind set is that Alienware looks sweet and is a sweet product, but for me, not worth the extra bones. Although through my work, i get a sweet discount on dell products, so i am looking to see how much i can get an Alienware for. My laptop i have now, i got to save $1000. To the person beside me, it is worth the extra bones. All about personal preference.

Now before i ramble on more (cause of reason's i'm not able to discuss lol :p ) I'll leave at that point.

wolfeking

banned
Alienware is overpriced, yes. But I would not take an asus either. For laptops, I would go for either another Dell Precision, or a Sager before Asus and Alienware. Build quality is far better on both of them.

wolfeking

banned
I used to agree with that, but today it is no match. The XPS is a entertainment model, where the Precision can be ran with GTX model cards (well if you flash the BIOS of the Quadro or install a card out of a alienware). The XPS is limited to the integrated GT6** series. No match at all.

In the old days, the XPS was an alienware minus the name. Back in the days when it was the XPS 1730 and the like.