Am I Gonna Have Problems? 8800gts

nmwords

Okay check this out I just got a new gateway pc 2 months ago, and I went with the pentium D 915 model because I was gonna Go the cheap way:D ........Boy was I wrong. I have since Gone PC crazy and I am spending a S**T load of money.

I'm Very new to self pc customization/upgrading So I wanna know what you think, about this system I have built.

MOBO:intel D945Gcl
Processor: Pentium D915 2.8ghz
Ram: 2G's Of patriot pc5300 1.8v 4-4-4-12(upgraded from stock 1G hynix)
GPU: current7600gs my EVGA 8800gts superclocked 640mb arrives monday:D :D :D
Harddisk: 250g sata 2
PSU: 300w stock my http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163111 560w 38A singlerail arrives w/my 8800gts monday.

What I'm asking is does anyone see anything potential errors on my part? will my system be okay with this huge(880gts) upgrade? is there anything I need to know? Thanx. Btw first post hello all.

darksideleader

well your new videocard will proberly get bottlenecked by your Pentium D. Other than that i think everything should work smoothly...

elitehacker

yeah, I suggest you upgrade to the Pentium D 945, or at least overclock your current one. I'm sure you motherboard will support the entire Presler line. You would need at least a Core 2 Duo to run an 8800 at its fullest potential.

nmwords

Get a better PSU cuz the one you have now will barely run the system if it does at lal

Damn i just payed 130 for that psu I was told it would work ,well what do you reccomend. it said 400w was the minimum for the 8800gts? thx for the replies.

chupacabra

Damn i just payed 130 for that psu I was told it would work ,well what do you reccomend. it said 400w was the minimum for the 8800gts? thx for the replies.

That new one will work but the old one just npc it :p, i would have gotten the corsair 620watts instead of that silverstone one but is fine either way, sorry for the mistake about believing you were going to run it with the old one.

Edit:

there have a look at what you could've gotten for just 12$ more
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002

nmwords

That new one will work but the old one just npc it :p, i would have gotten the corsair 620watts instead of that silverstone one but is fine either way, sorry for the mistake about believing you were going to run it with the old one.

Edit:

there have a look at what you could've gotten for just 12$ more
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002
thanx for clearing that up i was sweating bullets lol. I wish i would have saw the corsair first , I got kind of impatient and bought the first one suggested to me. well I have another question now, I am going to upgrade to the E6600 C2D eventually to prevent this bottlenecking(btw can someone tell me what this is and how it affects the 8800gts?) But some A-hole at my local PC shop told me my motherboard was just able to bare the core 2 duo's but it could not run them effeciently, or at full bus speed or something like that , blablabla buy my motherboard basically. I have a D945Gcl, will it do well with the E6600?

chupacabra

well I have another question now, I am going to upgrade to the E6600 C2D eventually to prevent this bottlenecking(btw can someone tell me what this is and how it affects the 8800gts?) But some A-hole at my local PC shop told me my motherboard was just able to bare the core 2 duo's but it could not run them effeciently, or at full bus speed or something like that , blablabla buy my motherboard basically. I have a D945Gcl, will it do well with the E6600?

It can run it fine just don't expect to get fully profit from it, like good overclocking,etc

darksideleader

and also the core 2 duo elimates bottlenecking just simple cuz its faster and can keep up with the video card. With the pentium d its too slow to keep up with it.

nmwords

thanks for the replies guys. Hey im thinking of getting the e6400 its only 218 dollars or is the e6600 that much better for pairing with a 8800gts ? EDIT I cant overclock for SH*T with this motherboard just the ram (the motherboard can only support 1.8v ram anyways :-\ ) the e6600 clock speed it at 2.4ghz factory while my pentuim D915 is 2.8ghz. will the E6600 be much better than my pentium D 915 if I can't overclock it ?

Last edited:

lovely?

if you payed 130$ then you probably arent going to be sorry for it. i suggest waiting forawhile, and test your limits. you already ordered it, try it out.

if its not broken dont fix it

i really dont know what they are talking about. 560 watts will power the system, just dont overclock TOO much. (but it should be able to overclock ok a little)

ceewi1

VIP Member
Upgrading the CPU will help elimenate the bottleneck, but you should still notice a huge improvement with the new card with your current processor.

That board appears to support a full 1066Mhz FSB, however overclocking options on Intel motherboards are generally very limited. You certainly won't be PSU limited, however.

While the Corsair is modular, more efficient, and is capable of putting out a bit more power, from a build quality point of view the Silverstone is actually better. It might not have been the PSU I would have bought for the job, but it's certainly not a bad choice at all.

nmwords

Lol Igot the 8800 gts today but my power supply gets here tomorrow. its running on a 300w right now the the psu fan keeps revving up uvery few minutes, it's probably gonna explode. this 8800 rocks, will i get even better performance when running the proper power supply?

EDIT these are my vista benchmarks Processor 4.7
Ram 5.4
Graphics 5.9
Gaming graphics 5.9
Hard disk 5.4
I guess my pentium d915 is the weakest link.

Last edited:

nmwords

well I've recgnized a few problems I keep getting kicked by punkbuster while playing 2142 ? It totally F's up when i try to run the original medieval total war,unplayable.(it plays medieval 2 beautifully). It seems as if the current drivers are unstable wtf. any explanations or solutions would be awesome. I just hate not knowing whats wrong and if it can be fixed ya know.

nmwords

well when i join a game it boots me out, says kicked from server by punkbuster it never happened on my 7600gs so its not vista. When I start a battle in total war it is just F'd up can see through the map if i turn it streaks the camera permanently same with the mouse. so i cant evenplay for a second its a real mess. EDIT okayi just CRTL ALT DELETED and outside the program i found a message saying the sprites failed to load, and another saying wrong mode.
simon i noticed your futurebuild i have the evga 8800gts 640mb superclocked. but maybe this all means nothing seeing thati'm running on an insufficient power supply. but i have heard complaints about older gamed crapping out on the 8800's . but crysis should make me forget

Last edited:

Martingale00

the e6600 clock speed it at 2.4ghz factory while my pentuim D915 is 2.8ghz. will the E6600 be much better than my pentium D 915 if I can't overclock it ?

The GHz speeds are only relevant within the same family of processors. A Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz is a lot faster then a Pentium D @ 2.8GHz. The architecture of the C2D allows for far greater processing power at a lower speed then previous families of processors. An E6600 will be much, much faster than a Pentium D. For what it's worth I'm running an 8800GTS with an Antec Smart Power 500 which is a budget PSU and so far no problems. And like you my processor is my bottleneck but in 3DMark06 I saw a crazy improvement in FPS over a 7900GT.

SimpleSimon

Yea, I think a good bit of it could be your PSU. As far as the punkbuster goes, could it be your ping? Also, I remember when I played some games on max settings (I currently have a 5700...go ahead and laugh :p) it would cause the game to do the streaking, I couldn't look up on FPS games or else the game would...umm..I dunno how to explain it...kinda crystalize meets streaking? I dunno, but seeing as you have the 8800 I don't think that would be the case unless like we already said, you just don't have the power behind it to run it.