AM3 Processor Upgrade [AU]

FATALiiTYz

I'm currently running a 550 at 3.6GHz, but it's starting to lag behind in CPU intensive games like BF3 and there's a little bit of lag during heavy multitasking. I don't want to change sockets, as my budget is less than $200.

I will be getting 8GBs of DDR3 CL8 Ram soon, and a 560Ti so I don't want my CPU to lag behind.

The Phenom II 955 is the clear winner and i'm trying to get hold of it, only a few places have it in stock and MSY just sucks nuts.

But, I'm thinking about the 960T. It's only $130 atm and instock most places. Other than this are there many good options? I'm not too interested in Hex cores atm.

Thanks

James79

I'm somewhat in the same situation as you, as I will be upgrading my CPU (amd phenom ii x4 from a phenom ii x2 550) very soon. If your motherboard supports the 960t, go for it. Its much better than the dual core.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Better email Asus first. Your board only shows the Phenom II 960 (HDX960WFK4DGM) C3 stepping. Not the same processor as the Phenom II 960T.

FATALiiTYz

Better email Asus first. Your board only shows the Phenom II 960 (HDX960WFK4DGM) C3 stepping. Not the same processor as the Phenom II 960T.

Well, I just managed to pick up a used Phenom II 955 for $110 on eBay. Good enough for me, next cheapest in stock was $140 + Post

Cant wait to get this running and OC'ed in my PC :) Reckon I could get it to 3.6/3.8GHz stock volts?

One other off topic question - Currently when I OC my CPU the RAM likes to OC too. So at 3.6GHz I either have to choose from 1400MHz or 1200MHz which is a pain in the arse - I've got some cheapy CL9 1333MHz Kingston RAM that doesn't OC too well. Is there anyway I can just have them running at 1333MHz?

Jeremy

StrangleHold

Staff member
If you overclock by the multiplier it should not change your bus speed. Its only when you use the bus that it jumps up your memory speed.

FATALiiTYz

If you overclock by the multiplier it should not change your bus speed. Its only when you use the bus that it jumps up your memory speed.

Believe it or not I can't adjust the multiplier speed. I tried changing it to 16.0 - press enter and it changes back.

For your convenience -

acc3a43c60.jpg

FATALiiTYz

Believe it or not I can't adjust the multiplier speed. I tried changing it to 16.0 - press enter and it changes back. I have never known why adjusting the multiplier doesn't work.

For your convenience - [EDIT: I haven't adjusted the CPU voltages, so don't believe what CPU-Z shows.

acc3a43c60.jpg

linkin

VIP Member
I'd go for the 960T. The 550 also comes in BE and non-BE so double chick which chip you have (look on the chip itself)

FATALiiTYz

I'd go for the 960T. The 550 also comes in BE and non-BE so double chick which chip you have (look on the chip itself)

Bah, already got the 955. The 550 i bought should've been a BE when I bought it so i could probably take it back and complain lol...

What voltages do you have your 955 at atm and how high can you OC it?