Amd Am2

holyjunk

liquidshadow said:
DDR2 is not must faster for AMD right now because of their CPU architecture. (integrated memory controller)
^ Please use some periods
oo who cares!:p
Edit: let me guess you do

CmoAMD

So its the same CPU's, just they can have DDR2 memory and they are a different socket. What else besides memory/socket has changed?

liquidshadow

The difference is 1-5% max and sometimes AM2 performs worse than current s939. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying it's bad or anything but there's no point getting it now. Once they get all the hardware and stuff straightened out, there will be better motherboards for cheaper and stuff. It's not smart to get it now as the motherboards may be buggy and the performance isn't better.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Is DDR2 alot better?
Better is dependent on what and how you use your system memory. It is "alot different"

or do I just search for current 940 sockets?
If you want a Socket AM2 board then you'll have to search for, well, Socket AM2 boards ;)

DDR2 is much faster, and offers more bandwidth.
Although like everything else AMDish, faster may not mean [significantly] better performing.

DDR2 is not must faster for AMD right now because of their CPU architecture. (integrated memory controller)
DDR2 is significantly faster but since it also introduces higher latencies (which are measured in clock cycles per access request) the performance delta is reduced sometimes fatally.

So its the same CPU's, just they can have DDR2 memory and they are a different socket. What else besides memory/socket has changed?
Nothing that you'll prolly notice nor care about

So many people obsessed with "better" ... AM2 is "different" and Socket939 will die regardless of whether it is "better" or not. If you are in the market for a new box and AM2 is in your budget, then you should not be considering Socket939

Arm_Pit3

Praetor said:
DDR2 is significantly faster but since it also introduces higher latencies (which are measured in clock cycles per access request) the performance delta is reduced sometimes fatally.
You beat me too it :p

Shady

<b>VIP Member</b>
a123 said:
will socket 939 be obsolete anytime soon? :(
not very soon i think
due to DDR support
i think this is gonna happen when DDR disappears (which i dont think is really gonna happen soon)

somebody follow up

Geoff

VIP Member
a123 said:
will socket 939 be obsolete anytime soon? :(
Well as far as i know they arent making any more 939 cpu's, so eventually it will be obsolete. But even 754 cpus arent too obsolete, so it will take a while before socket 939 is.

Shady

<b>VIP Member</b>
[-0MEGA-] said:
Well as far as i know they arent making any more 939 cpu's, so eventually it will be obsolete. But even 754 cpus arent too obsolete, so it will take a while before socket 939 is.

does that mean that if i was planning to buy 939 i should buy it ASAP
is it gonna be out of the market ?

Geoff

VIP Member
shadyi said:
does that mean that if i was planning to buy 939 i should buy it ASAP
is it gonna be out of the market ?
Well seeing how they still sell 754 mobos and cpu's on newegg, i dont think its going to be off the market for a while.

Geoff

VIP Member
liquidshadow said:
Probably not going to be obsolete until 2007-2008 when AMD starts making their new AM2 processors.
You mean the new version of AM2 right? Because AM2 is already out.