AMD and Intel Mixing and forcing - OK to power?

lhuser

I changed my CPU from an Intel Pentium MMX 200MHZ to an AMD K6-2 500MHZ

Will it boot with the Intel Chipset?

lhuser

The_Other_One on computerforums.org said:
Anyway, come to think of it...I THINK I had a K6-166 in an old Socket7 motherboard with an intel chipset

If he did, how come it worked? That's the thing that makes me hesaitate...

Last edited:

lhuser

All three (Intel CPU, AMD K6-2 CPU and Mobo socket) are Socket 7

The Intel Pentium MMX 200MHZ os 2.8V and the AMD K6-2 500MHZ is 3.3V, which hits the socket volt range. (Meaning it takes 3.3V)

StrangleHold

Staff member
The thing is your intel chip on the board with the MMX 200 is running at 66mhz, dont think that board has a 7.5 X to get to 500 for the AMD. Old socket 7 boards only had 66, 75 and 83MHZ fsb settings, and if you raise it to 75 most of the time the pci bus will lock up. The K6-2 and III were meant to run on a super 7 board with a 100mhz fsb, The K-6 2 and III had a trick on old socket 7 boards that you could set the X to 2 and the AMD would see it as 6 and it would run at 400MHZ

StrangleHold

Staff member
A username said:
Then, wh my CPU fitted in the socket? If it's not socket 7, why did it fit in?

It is a Socket 7, they were just meant to run on a super 7, has the same socket as plain socket 7, both will fit and work in either one, you just cant get the full speed out of the bigger K-6s with the older 66mhz FSB socket 7s

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Socket+7+vs.+Super+7&btnG=Search

If you notice I said!
The K-6 2 and III had a trick on old socket 7 boards that you could set the X to 2 and the AMD would see it as 6 and it would run at 400MHZ

Last edited:

lhuser

I got a reply from another guy saying that if I power the PC up with the AMD, it may fry both CPU and mobo...Not quite sure.

I decided to boot with the Intel to see if it was working after a case change and no. I got this:

1-3-3-1 28 Autosize DRAM.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Might need to reset the cmos or to say bios, sounds like ram, try resetting the ram or did you add any, the only way it would fry the AMD is if the board didnt have the right voltage setting

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Its as simple as setting the voltage and putting the X on 2. It will run at 400mhz, that better than the 200 its on now

Super_Nova

If your AMD CPU is Socket 7 then it will not hurt anything to turn it on. Socket 7 was the last standard to work with both AMD and Intel. After the Athlon came on board they started having their own motherboards.
3 things will happen if you turn on your PC.
1) It won't do anything.
2) It will boot, but not at a full 500Mhz.
3) It will boot at 500Mhz

Older Socket 7 boards may not be able to run as fast as newer ones because of their 66mhz bus which is why it may not run at 500mhz. At any rate it won't hurt anything to try.

Things will be more difficult however if your motherboard requires you to set jumpers rather than autosensing the CPU like more modern boards do.