AMD/Intel

Skorax

I know you get more bang for your buck for performance on intel at the moment. but my question is that i've heard that AMD has more upgradeability for there processors than intel.
For instance, 2 years down the line, if i want to upgrade to a current processor for intel, i would need to buy a new motherboard also due to the chipset.
But for AMD, their chipsets are more universal, they still have several ones, but some of the chipsets will most likely be able to be used with future processors.
Any input?

Zinus

I can't answer your question but I would like to ask if it's worth paying like 200 more for an Intel than AMD. I'm a bit of a novice and am trying to build a gaming computer but this is one of the parts I'm getting stuck on.

I heard the processor didn't relate much to gaming and shouldn't have much effect, but two opinions are better than one :D.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I heard the processor didn't relate much to gaming and shouldn't have much effect, but two opinions are better than one :D.

You are correct. For the most part gaming performance is based on the GPU. Yes a better CPU would give you better performance, but it's marginal in comparison to GPUs

Intel's pretty much in the lead now in terms of processor performance. I wouldn't say AMD's any more universal though. They've done less socket switching as compared to Intel, but they'll probably have a new socket released pretty soon...

Without knowing a budget it's difficult to give many suggestions, but I'd stick to Intel if you're budget permits. AMD's still a fine processor, but they aren't on top anymore :p

IBEPCWIZ

It really depends on what your going to do. If you are going to just play games then why not save 200 dollars on a cpu and go amd then spend the extra money on a better mobo or gpu. But if your going to be doing some video or sound editting then i would spend the money on intel.

Skorax

I'd just be playing MMO games like diablo 2(3) Starcraft(2) and mainly world of warcraft. Already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and operating system.
I wont be using with SLI or Crossfire, just a single video card.
Just want smoothe gaming, willing to upgrade about once a year basics and looking to not have to upgrade CPU/Motherboard more than once every 2-3 years.

Zinus

"Intel's pretty much in the lead now in terms of processor performance."

This week any way :p

I think I'll go with the AMB phenom x4 955, seems to fit well into what I need and I'm saving about 400 bucks. My budget is around $4,000 US but "trimming some fat" here and there won't hurt.

aviation_man

4000 bucks. You could build a system that would dim the lights in your house when you turned it on.

No kiddin -including the neighborhood :)

Intel seems like it comes out with processors much faster, but AMD isn't far behind. They usually come out with a good processor a weeks after Intel does. (though some of intel processors beat AMD in performance by a few steps here and there)
It's like MS and Apple, MS comes out with Win7 while Apple comes out with snow leopard..
But anyway.. I'd recommend Intel if you want to shell out the money for it, and if you're running very extreme tasks on your computer..
I have a quad (look at signature for more details) right now on my rig, and it hasn't skipped a beat. Right now I have 65 processes running (15 tabs on Firefox, editing 150+ photos in CS4, and F@Hing etc..) and it's not showing ANY signs of choking..

daisymtc

I'd just be playing MMO games like diablo 2(3) Starcraft(2) and mainly world of warcraft. Already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and operating system.
I wont be using with SLI or Crossfire, just a single video card.
Just want smoothe gaming, willing to upgrade about once a year basics and looking to not have to upgrade CPU/Motherboard more than once every 2-3 years.

It all depends on your budget. If you are not crossfire/ sli,
LGA1156 P55 mobo with Core i5 750/ i7 860 if you can afford.
Or Cheap AMD 770/ SB710 DDR3 with Athlon IIx2 240/ Athon II x4 620/ Phenom IIx3 720

porlean

No kiddin -including the neighborhood :)

Intel seems like it comes out with processors much faster, but AMD isn't far behind. They usually come out with a good processor a weeks after Intel does. (though some of intel processors beat AMD in performance by a few steps here and there)
It's like MS and Apple, MS comes out with Win7 while Apple comes out with snow leopard..
But anyway.. I'd recommend Intel if you want to shell out the money for it, and if you're running very extreme tasks on your computer..
I have a quad (look at signature for more details) right now on my rig, and it hasn't skipped a beat. Right now I have 65 processes running (15 tabs on Firefox, editing 150+ photos in CS4, and F@Hing etc..) and it's not showing ANY signs of choking..

Dude thats ridiculous 15 tabs! my machine is pretty good for my standards but ill be pushing it to the brim with that kind of actions

bomberboysk

At this point in time, id get an LGA1156 cpu over a phenom II X4 955 for a few reasons.
1. Hyperthreading on a cpu same price
2. Faster clock for clock performance
3. Similar price