AMD's New APU Socket FM1

StrangleHold

Staff member
Yeap. Came out about a week ago. Athlon II cores at 32nm. with a GPU on the die. Good for lowend builds. The next one called Trinity with Zambezi core suppost to be out sometime next year.

wolfeking

banned
noticed the other day that even our local walmart store has some of these in laptop variety. Wasnt all that expensive either for new tech. the 15.6'' sony was like 599.

jonnyp11

that was the goal for amd like always, more for less, and in this case is the same, their nicer gpus withe worse cpu's, but a little better than athlon ii's actually, but the video memory takes priority over cpu so slower in some tasks

wolfeking

banned
videoq1.jpg

closest thing I could find to a compairison of SB HD3000 and LLano HD.
edit, another one.
igp-civ5-1680.jpg

Last edited:

jamesd1981

well by the looks of those benchmarks looks like amd has the edge of the graphics side of things, makes it a tough choice for anyone trying to choose between sb and llano

wolfeking

banned
thats an easy choice. SB, cause it kicks llanos butt in processing power, and you can get the same graphic performance with a 5670 card.

jamesd1981

yes i suppose wolfeking, but for a similar quad core 2.9 sb it costs almost £150

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/269108

then when you add to that a graphics card thats a big difference in price, i guess that certainly proves llano is for tight budget builds :( shame will amd ever catch up to intel ?

wolfeking

banned
I prefer to think they will catch up. Just remember that there have only been slight modifications to their core (even the Duron, Athlon, Athlon 2, Phenom, Phenom 2, and Turion, and Sempron) since the days that they owned Intel clock for clock.
If they have managed to use all of that time to build another totally original core for Bulldozer, then they might stand a chance of holding their own again.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I prefer to think they will catch up. Just remember that there have only been slight modifications to their core (even the Duron, Athlon, Athlon 2, Phenom, Phenom 2, and Turion, and Sempron) since the days that they owned Intel clock for clock.
If they have managed to use all of that time to build another totally original core for Bulldozer, then they might stand a chance of holding their own again.

Good point. But AMD on there own was not worth a crap at making a processor. When they went from being a second tier for Intel with OEMs to compete with them, they were not that good.

They bought out NexGen for its processor, and gave NexGen the run of the house and released the K6 processor. Which in turn with updates became the Athlon/Athlon XP/Athlon 64/Phenom and Phenom II. So they have never really developed a new architecture since. And the NexGen guys have been gone a long time. Got hope in them, but we will see.

StrangleHold

Staff member
surely they should just poach some of intels top cpu designers ? or maybe they can`t afford to do that

Its all about money, which they dont have much vs. Intel. But they have beat Intel on alot of points. Onboard memory controller/64 bit/HyperTransport and monolith core setup. Which Intel to this day pays royalties for, except HyperTransport. Intel went there own way with QuickPath.

2048Megabytes

If AMD cannot come up with new processor architecture that is a significant jump over their Thuban processors they should just do some reverse engineering on some Sandybridge processors. Who cares if they are a year behind in technology with Intel, just keep the processor prices low.

2048Megabytes

There are only three samples of the AMD A8-3850 processor so I question the results on CPUbenchmark.net. But if the marks are true those are impressive to me. That is more powerful than a Phenom II 975 running at 3.6 gigahertz. The A8-3850 Quad-Core processor is running at 700 megahertz lower clockspeed, using 25 Watts less and still beating the Phenom II 975.