Another HDMI Audio puzzle

PhoebusLife

I have gone through just about every relevant thread I could find but didnt quite find what I was looking for.

Right now I have no audio through my HDMI cable to my HDTV.

Before, I was running a simple ATI HD 4550 with HDMI out on my Phillips 19" HDTV/Monitor and had sound and great picture. And using the latest Realtek audio driver could switch to headphones and such easily.

Now, I have switched to the Nvidia 8400 GS and a new 40" 1080p HDTV and have great picture, but no audio through the HDMI port from my graphics card.

Neither card has connections for audio looping to my motherboard (which is an ASUS P43DE)

Have tried all settings configurations available on my PC, but still no sound. And have tried hunting for audio specific drivers, but have had no luck. Though I did see one for a 8600GT........

Any thoughts would be great. Would love to have this work, this particular TV does not have a separate audio input WITh the HDMI input.

CardboardSword

I'm pretty sure older Nvidia cards didn't have support for audio through HDMI. I could be wrong since you say you've seen one, but I remember that was one of the selling points for ATI's 4XXX series, it supported audio via HDMI, Nvidia didn't. Maybe someone can refute this for you, but that's what I think.

PhoebusLife

I believe you are correct about the Nvidia having no audio support. I will probably switch back to the 4550, that moved to my computer at work where I spend a lot more time, but the audio is important at home (and I didnt realize it was that much better:)

Thanks.