Another laptop suggestion thread!

Mark4_4

Hey, I shall be heading off to university in a couple of months and have decided to look into getting a new laptop.

My main point of interest for the laptop is the reliability (I'd rather not be losing any work or buying a new laptop anytime soon) and also battery life.

It would also ideally need to be able to run games but this isn't too important, just want to be able to play any non demanding game on decent settings.

A 15.6" screen would probably be best aswell.

My budget would be anywhere up to £800

spirit

Staff member
Sorry for late reply - for £800 this is probably one of the best laptops you can get: http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=6771251#!tab=specs

Has an i7 4700MQ, 1080p display and a GT 740m. Not the strongest graphics card in the world but probably the best thing you'll get for £800.

From my experiences the HPs have been quite reliable (used a lot of ProBooks now but never used an Envy but they should be fine) - don't know what the battery life is like though. How long do you need it to least?

DMGrier

VIP Member
No Hp, Everytime I work on a computer to replaced failed hardware 7 out of 10 of them are Hp. I know a larger portion of the form agrees with me on this one.

The one Cisco001 recommended is really nice as it is actually a Sager. System76 offers the same one and I from what I have seen in the Linux community no one has ever had a problem with system76 as they exclusively buy from Sager.

Just remember one thing, gaming performance and battery go hand and hand, the more performance you want the less battery you will get. The less gaming performance you get the better battery.

spirit

Staff member
No Hp, Everytime I work on a computer to replaced failed hardware 7 out of 10 of them are Hp. I know a larger portion of the form agrees with me on this one.
Honestly never had a single problem with them and I've used countless HP laptops and desktops now. We [family business] sell them to clients and they never have any problems, so I guess either we're just lucky or you're just unlucky...

We don't tend to sell the consumer products (like the Envy) because we sell machines to business clients, so we tend to sell things like ProDesks and ProBooks to clients which are all well-built and very sturdy. A friend of mine has an Envy and was kind enough to bring it into school for me to have a play with when I was looking at laptops. Whilst I couldn't spend very long with it, it seemed like the build quality was similar to that of the ProBooks I've tried. Even the cheap HP 2000 notebooks are decent enough for the money - believe me I've tried one! So, I would personally say that HP are fine.

If you didn't want to buy a custom-built machine, you could have a look at a Dell like this: http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-7537/pd?oc=cn75322&model_id=inspiron-15-7537 that has a GT 750m which would be OK for games but obviously not as good as the GTX chips in the other systems. Got a customer's Dell Vostro laptop downstairs at the moment (slightly older one) and I've been very impressed with it, so I think I'd recommend Dell too.

Last edited:

DMGrier

VIP Member
I wouldn't say I am unlucky, just the consumers in which I fix their computers for, but even here on the forum when you look a majority of the computer's that suffer from hardware failure it is usually an Hp.

The difference is you are talking about Hp business line I believe which may be better then then the consumer line but I wouldn't buy from a company who can't build a decent consumer line.

spirit

Staff member
I wouldn't buy from a company who can't build a decent consumer line.

That'll be most of them then. ;)

And if all that matters is their business line is good, when why worry about their consumer line if you're never going to buy a consumer product from them? :confused:

Acer and Toshiba machines are my least favourite - they are the ones I would stay away from.