Antec 300 Side Window Mod

jhonrox

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about adding a window to the left panel of my Antec 300. But I'm not too fond of just a plain rectangular window; I want some extra stuff within the window so it doesn't look empty. Here's a quick draft I made:

antec300.png

Black area - panel
White & green area - clear acrylic, but green will be some sort of very light green tint

This is my first window mod by the way. Is it any good? Any other ideas, suggestions, or templates?
And yes, I use AMD chips, but I'm not a 'fanboy'. :D

Last edited:

joh06937

that looks like it would be an awesome mod :good: go for it. would you just be using some sort of stick on thing for the green arrow or would you cut out the shape?

jhonrox

that looks like it would be an awesome mod :good: go for it. would you just be using some sort of stick on thing for the green arrow or would you cut out the shape?

Oh cheers! :D I think I'll probably just get some stick-on tinting from the local auto parts shop. Cutting more stuff will be more work to do, as I don't really have many tools; got a dremel for now, but I need to get my hands on a jigsaw because nothing I cut with a dremel ends up straight!

jhonrox

I cut out all the honeycomb fan grills on the case (2 at front, 1 each at side, rear and top) because I really dislike them. Completely took apart the case to paint it black (including interior). Finished painting the right panel first and that's when I thought I could do with a window on the left. Good thing I didn't do the left panel first!

meticadpa

Make sure you tape up your side panel before you do it.

Also... cutting curves into a case with a jigsaw is rather hard for someone who's inexperienced.

jhonrox

did you replace the honeycomb covers with your own or are they open now?

The two at the front are but it doesn't matter because they were on a removable fan bracket and already have a mesh+filter in front of them. The rear one will probably be left open. But I'm gonna add new grills to the top and left panels.

Make sure you tape up your side panel before you do it.

It probably won't make any difference coz its pretty messed up already! :eek: I'm gonna sand it down and respray it though. :D

Also... cutting curves into a case with a jigsaw is rather hard for someone who's inexperienced.
i did it perfectly my first time. all you have to do is go slow.

Hopefully, that will be my case too. But I'll do a test cut on a spare bit of metal sheet lying around. If it doesn't go well, I just take it to someone who's experienced, I suppose