Antivirus poll

Which antivirus do you use???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

memory

I used to use Norton's, didn't really like that too much. Now I am using AVG Internet Security.

Elidicious

i'm using McAfee. it's good so far. it deletes all viruses. it detects every virus that attacks my computer. i like it.
i used to have Norton, but it expired afte a year. then used Avast which SUCKS because theoretically it deletes viruses, but not practically because when i re-scan it the same viruses appear.
then used AVG which was good. then kaspersky which expired. now mcafee.

Mitch?

banned
Kaspersky if i'd invest money, but Avira Antivir free has done just as much, and is free, i've used it for a few years now, i also had BitDefender for a year, but for doing the same thing, AntiVir is the way to go, alot lighter than Norton or AVG too.

Mitch?

banned
^so you're saying that Avira Antivirus Free is like licensed Kaspersky???
hmm....nice!!!

I'm saying that if you're responsible you don't need that much. When I reinstalled my OS i had Windows Defender/Firewall disabled for a month with no other anti virus, and guess what! Nothing happened.

bengal85

I use threat fire and I like it I have no idea why people would want to PAY SO MUCH MONEY on virus protection when you can get the same protection with a freeware program such as

Threatfire
AVG FREE
And many many more

Jamin43

banned
I had good experience with PC Cillin - but the price of AVG Free was too good to pass up and it does a good job.

Aastii

VIP Member
Avast over here, free and works perfect as a firewall and anti-virus :D

I am using Symantec Antivirus

Symantec is the best

So you use Norton? Which aren't the best as it is a resource whore, especially 360, it works though, just not efficiently or well

chanchan05

Ive been using bitdefender for two months now, and its very very good. I've had the chance of also using AVG, Avira, Kaspersky, and Norton. AVG is the worst of the bunch in my opinion, when I bought my laptop it had a preinstalled Norton, but when it expired I got AVG free. But after seeing AVG protected laptops still go down due to viruses (specifically 3 of my friends), I took a trial version of Kaspersky and to my best luck I was able to snag a free one year license from them in a promo. After which I used Avira for a while. Kaspersky and Avira are very good antiviruses, but the good thing about avira is that it is has a freeware version. I was able to get BitDefender after it, and right after installing and running my first deep system scan I was able to snag 5 malwares in my system that Avira Premium Security Suite missed, and I've been very much protected. I'm currently using BitDefender Total Security 2009...

and for the question of the other poster as to why people buy security suites instead of going for freeware is that because it does more. in the case of Avira for example:

(F - avira free, P - avira premium, PS - premium security suite)

AntiVir stops all types of viruses - found in F, P, PS
AntiAd/Spyware eliminates ad/spyware - F,P,PS
AntiPhishing proactive protection against phising - F, P, PS
AntiRootkit against hidden rootkit threats - F, P, PS
AntiDrive-by prevents against downloading viruses when surfing - P,PS
AntiBot prevents dangerous bot networks
EmailScannerEnhanced email protection
WebGuard protection against malicious websites -P,PS
RescueSystem create a bootable rescue CD -P,PS
BackupSystem configurable data backup solution - PS
AntiSpam filters out unwanted emails - PS
FireWall protection against hackers -PS
GameMode uninterrupted game play - PS
QuickRemoval eliminate viruses at the push of a button - F,P,PS
NetbookSupport for laptops with low resolution - F,P,PS
ParentalControl block websites unsuitable for children - PS

You can see how much more paid versions have compared to free ones...

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
NOD32 is pretty good, especially since its really low resource like you said;)

It does have low resource needs yes, but it is poor at kepping out certain virus' such as all the "Scareware" like AV009, SystemScan2009, XP Antivirus, etc.

I feel bad because we sell NOD32 at workand a few days later customers will get a virus.

chanchan05

I suddenly realized, how would you consider an antivirus as good, in terms of what criteria? I know I voted bitdefender since I am using it right now and its very good in what it does, but what about others? as far as my research took me, i got the following:

"Overall" : Norton 2009
-according to reviews, the norton people finally was able to make their 2009 version run on 30%less resources than their previous products, and norton consistently got a high rank on all categories of an independent lab test, whereas some antivirus software are very good in one category but fail in another. it does not actually excel in anything but is good in everything. However, at a resource use of 30% less than previous, its resource use is still almost twice than other programs, although in my case this isnt an issue with my rig's specs

"Speed"
-I have been told that Avira is one of the fastest and yet effective programs, the problem with the new version are the false hits. Im not sure if they fixed it yet, but it detects war3.exe as a virus...pano na dota ko????haha

"Detection"
Kaspersky and BitDefender for me are at par with each other here. They both send hourly updates to your computer...HOURLY...so the hour a new virus is identified, you get protection from it, unlike the next contenders, with daily updates. This leaves you a 24 hour window for infection. Kaspersky is almost always the leader in getting virus definitions making it very tough to crack....BitDefender counters this with the B-HAVE capability, meaning even if the program is not in the virus def lists, it can monitor the behavior of all running programs and identifies if they have virus-like behavior, and it alerts you.

"Removal"
Kaspersky hands down in my experience is the best in removal of malware, spyware, adware and viruses. Yun lang medyo mabagal sya magscan...

These are my own opinions based sa experience at lab scores ng mga AV from West Coast Labs, Av-Test, at AV-comparatives....

dadeon

It's got to be Avast. Free and works completely hands free. Not a single problem for more than 2 years now.