Any Other Good Tablets out there

JDK3010

I was thinking about getting my mom an iPad for the holidays but they are kind of expensive, and if I bought it, that would mean everyone else doesn't really get anything this year. Does anyone use any of the droid tablets or some other kind? I just want to avoid the mp3 catastrophe.. I'll explain that below....

Around the time that the first iPods were being released everyone was getting them. I wanted to move to the technology of mp3 but was thinking why do I need something that everyone else already has. So i bought an mp3 player way cheaper and it worked at first. But the thing broke in a matter of 2 weeks. I replace it with another non-ipod mp3 player. That breaks within a month. I had to use a tape walkman until the video iPods came out a year or so later.

Laquer Head

Samsung Galaxy Tab is pretty good, I use mine quite alot..I think it was 299.99 can. at the time I got it.

Calibretto

VIP Member
If you get either a Nook Color or a Nook Tablet and root it, that would make for an awesome tablet for $200 ($250 for Nook Tablet). The Nook Tablet doesn't have a successful root just yet, but it's only a matter of time.

I definitely wouldn't go with ipad they are ridiculously expensive and flash doesn't work and will never work (even though flash is dying anyway) so any thing that uses flash that you could use for free on ANY android tablet you have to pay for an app. you can find good deals on tablets online at amazon or other stores that cost less that 500$ most are less than 300$

Exo

I manage a retail store for my profession. Currently, we have 3 differnet selections of tablets....

In ordering these products, I found out a few things that you might want to know.

Most of the lesser expensive (non-namebrand) tablets have several drawbacks. Let me give you an example:

Leader Impression Tablet:
http://www.leaderinternationalinc.com/impression/impression10.php

This is a very inexpensive tablet and has alot of good features, but has some major drawbacks:

Most of the lower end tablets can not link with the android app store. (There is a way around this by using Amazon or annother 3rd party app store)

Also, this tablet runs version 10.1 flash on it. YOU CAN NOT UPGRADE THE FLASH VERSION as it conflicts with the operating system. Leader is working on a fix for this though.

My suggestion is go with a nice mid range tablet. Something like the Samsung or Toshiba. They seem to be more stable than the lower end units that are coming out.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
ASUS Eee Pad Transformer is really nice. The Eee Pad Slider is a step above with a built in physical keyboard.

flanker

I ordered a Kindle Fire at $200 it's worth a try and it has been getting high reviews, it's not and iPad but it's also not $500.;)