Anyone have an Ipad please tell me what it can do that a laptop can't?

paulcheung

Hi all,
Anyone know what an Ipad can do that a laptop can't away from touch screen? and also what a laptop can do that an Ipad can't do?
Thanks.

Method9

iPad has motion sensing so tilting the iPad can be used as motion movements in a game. With a laptop you can run any OS you want.

tech savvy

laptop all the way.you are very limited on specs to do anything on an ipad.if you are only doing online surfing than get the ipad but anything else and i mean anything else get a laptop.paying $500 on a 16gb ipad, is...well....stupid imo,but that just my opinion.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
The iPad is basically a blown up version of the iPod Touch. It can do everything the touch can. I do not consider the iPad to be a laptop.

Answer your question thoroughly enough? :)

SslagleZ28

The iPad is basically a blown up version of the iPod Touch. It can do everything the touch can. I do not consider the iPad to be a laptop.

Answer your question thoroughly enough? :)

You and alot of others... eslepcially those who carry their iPad and iBook with them at all times

voyagerfan99

Staff member
IMO, it's not worth the $499 price tag when you can get a cheap, fully functional laptop for that price.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Thanks guys, can Ipad do wordprocessing and spread sheet? how about formating documents?

I'm sure you could get some lite office software from the app store like OpenOffice or maybe even Microsoft Office.

Tayl

VIP Member
Thanks guys, can Ipad do wordprocessing and spread sheet? how about formating documents?

Yes you can do Word Processing, Spreadsheets and Presentations using Apples own applications available on the app store (Keynote, Pages and Numbers is what they're called). You can, from what I have found, find an app for almost anything you can do on a standard Laptop or PC (Although they might not quite be as efficient and packed with features as most PC applications what with them still being quite new (Yet I have found an app for all requirements I have for my laptop (web programming, word prcessing as well as all other office applications, art programs etc).

No, the iPad isn't a laptop, and in my eyes yes, it is worth the money? Why? Because it meets my needs. I have a very expensive laptop and an iPad. Due to my working schedule, social life demands and what not, the iPad proves to be more beneficial to me than my laptop. It's great if you're always in a rush and need the internet at the push of a button (without the hastle of having to wait for the laptop to boot up and power down each time). It's a brilliant time killer (what with all the free and paid for app store games that are available, I've found some corkers / well worth playing games).

The iPad apps are definitely on the up in terms of availability. People are releasing new apps and updates daily for the apps I have installed.

Warning though. You will end up spending a small fortune on apps if you get an iPad. I tend to purchase all of my apps. Even when I find a decent free app, I'll always look for the paid for version to get the extra features and what not. So far I've spent near £100 on apps over the past month or so (but I have the money so it doesn't bother me).

The iPad is more practical than a laptop if you're on the move a lot too. While a laptop is small, the iPad is smaller, lighter and from my experience between my laptop and my iPad, the battery on my iPad lasts hours longer.

My iPad will never replace my laptop, and my laptop will never replace my iPad. The iPad still lacks a lot of features I need my laptop for and as a result I will continue to use them both, when I need to. But from my current experience, my iPad is used a lot more than my laptop (Typing this post in bed on my day off using my iPad on my official Apple keyboard dock).

So in short, from my needs and experience. What can an iPad do that a laptop can't? Even more ease with on the move maneaverability. Quick ease and efficiency on installing applications on the app store (simple click, wait, installed), battery life lasts a lot longer (naturally depends on what you do on both your laptop and iPad, as does battery life on anything), good time killer while on the tiolet! Laptops are more of a pain in the arse to use on the bog. Great if you purchase a lot of music via iTunes too.

Most important question(s) though are: What do you need an iPad or Laptop for? What are the user requirements that are making you consider buying either of the two? Or are you just wanting one for personal use? What do you use PC's / Laptops for at the moment that you'd rather do on an iPad?

If you do have any questions about them, the apps available, need recommendations or more opinions / information, feel free to ask.

Tayl.

Last edited:

Tayl

VIP Member
Always and forever. As I said before, an iPad can never replace a laptop.

Depends on what the user requirements are, is what I'll say to that. My iPad almost did replace my laptop until I started doing web development again (while there are one or two web development apps out for the iPad, they're still quite young and not quite tailored to my needs, yet. But for my partner, an iPad has definitely replaced her laptop.