Anyone have virus alert screencaps?

wiwazevedo

I don't trust the legitimacy of most of those. I'd rather see some that CF users may have taken and saved somewhere, which is why i posted here rather than going through google images

wiwazevedo

screencaps of virus alerts from popular antivirus programs, to show non-computer savy people what they look like. Fake anti-virus alerts are getting smarter these days. I know its hard to generalize what a virus is, and I haven't seen any alerts myself (I use avast) because I consider myself internet "street-smart". I did some searches on CF and couldn't come up with much, but ideally what I was looking for is a thread where a user is asking what to do after he/she gets an alert from their antivirus program and posts a screencap of it. Its hard to describe what its like to get a virus to someone who doesn't use a computer very often.

Jon Boy

screencaps of virus alerts from popular antivirus programs, to show non-computer savy people what they look like. Fake anti-virus alerts are getting smarter these days. I know its hard to generalize what a virus is, and I haven't seen any alerts myself (I use avast) because I consider myself internet "street-smart". I did some searches on CF and couldn't come up with much, but ideally what I was looking for is a thread where a user is asking what to do after he/she gets an alert from their antivirus program and posts a screencap of it. Its hard to describe what its like to get a virus to someone who doesn't use a computer very often.
I work for an antivirus company and my two cents on the situation would be:-
  1. The security alert will come from an application that the user has not chosen to install (they must know what they have installed)
  2. You cannot tell by the looks of the software, many fake AV apps I have seen recently have had more work on the appearance than our own software
  3. There will usually be side affects to fake AV e.g. all files and folders are hidden & applications blocked from opening
  4. The problem is fake AV is designed to look like real AV, so there is no real way of telling by the look of the popup
I know a lot about this so if you have any questions ... ask me ... its my job lol.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Not one from me, but this is what MSE looks like

fakemse.jpg

However there is a virus out there that looks just like this one so if you don't have MSE installed, then ignore it and close the popup.