Anyway possible to build you own laptop?

jamesd1981

There was phase a few years ago where you could easily buy self build laptop kits, where you bought a pre built base unit, then you added your own processor, ram, hard drive etc.

However i did not take off and kind of died a death, the last time i searched for one the only place they were available was imported from america.

DMGrier

VIP Member
It is to hard to do since laptops come in so many form factors, not to mention the laptop market over the last year has reported 20% decline in sales which also equates to manufactures do not want you to be able to easily fix or update hardware prolonging your use of a machine.

Okedokey

You can build your own laptop for sure. Buy the components of a laptop and put it together. But if you want to design/custom build your own, you're going to need to do a lot of research first.

For laptops, prebuilt is the way to go.

The issue with building your own is that something as tight and compact as a laptop needs to have a cooling solution capable of cooling all the parts. It's not easy to make a cooling solution that covers everything. A laptop needs to be designed with all parts in mind to be the most optimal. That's why prebuilts are much better.

spynoodle

It is definitely possible to build your own laptop; in fact, I built a laptop for a friend of mine from an MSI Whitebook just a couple years ago. Here's their site:
www.msiwhitebook.com
Granted, it's sometimes difficult to find a reseller, but I usually just search for the individual models on Google Shopping. Also, this site usually offers a few good options:
www.rjtech.com

If you buy a barebones kit, it will usually cost you the same if not a bit less to build a gaming laptop than if you were to buy a pre-built system. Besides, even if it costs a little more, you know that you're putting in quality components.

Last edited: