Artifacts on dx10 games with 5850

Jonesin31

My Radeon 5850 is not overclocked and only gets to max temp of around 60C. These dots have been coming up when I play games and stay on the desktop once I exit out. They are usually red or blue. They are about the size of a BB.

I'm using CCC 10.10 I can't use the newest one because I get the bsod reboot when my monitor goes to sleep. I downloaded unigine heaven 2.0 lsat night and ran it twice in dx11 and had no problems. Once with no AA and once with 4x AA. Then I ran it in dx 10 and got some artifacts. Ran it in dx 11 again and got some too. It seems that dx 10 is what is causing it to me. I think SCII and Crysis are both dx 10 titles and that's what I've noticed the biggest problem with. LOTRO doesn't cause it and I think its dx11. I've seen it happen in Dirt 2 dx11 but that was only after I had quit out of SCII and was testing other games. TF2 also does not cause this problem either.

I've downloaded ATI tool this morning and it has been running the artifact test for 30 minutes with no errors. GPU Temp is 68 degrees at 47% fan speed.

I'm really thinking it is dx10 related but I dont know if that would be a driver issue or a hardware issue. I'm kinda new to this sort of thing. I've always been a console gamer up until this past year.

CardboardSword

Are you using the hotfix? 10.10e I believe. Even if you are I'd try re-downloading and re-installing your drivers. Run driver sweeper in between to make sure you get rid of anything hanging around afterwards. It doesn't sound like its a hardware issue, but I'm not gonna rule it out yet. If re-installing doesn't work, try 10.12 anyway, and see if you still get the artifacts. If none of the above works, I'd say send the card back for an RMA.

Jonesin31

I uninstalled my driver and downloaded the most recent one this morning before work but didn't run driver sweeper. I didnt have time to test it yet. Is the driver sweep usually necessary?

CardboardSword

Usually not, but since you're having problems I figured its better to eliminate the option of something corrupted hanging around.

Jonesin31

Well it seemed to work. Monday night I ran Heaven 2.0 many times with different settings and played SCII no problem. The last night when playing starcraft, it happened again! I rebooted my pc and loaded it back up and it played ok after that. Guess I'll keep troubleshooting. Any ideas? I reverted my CPU overclock to default settings. We'll see if that works.

CardboardSword

What power supply do you have? My 6870 gave me artifacts on some benchmarks after running for a while. It wasn't locked to settings like yours appears to be, but I figured it was my power supply heating up and losing efficiency. Got a new power supply and the problem disappeared. Its worth mentioning anyway. If you have a more than adequate PSU, then your card is probably bad and its time for an RMA.