ASUS or DELL

silans!

Hello, I am buying a new laptop and I was wondering which laptop shall I choose between
Dell Inspiron 17R i5-2410M 17.3" 4Gb 500G i5
and
ASUS A73E-XA1 17.3" Laptop i5 4Gb 750G Blu-Ray .
Obviously ASUS seems better since it has larger hard drive and recognizes blue ray disc, but I don't know anyone having an ASUS laptop and since it is not a well known brand in my country I don't know whether they are good computers or not. I read some reviews for both laptops on amazon and they seem equally good. Which one would you advice me to buy and why?

DMGrier

VIP Member
I will go with Asus cause that is what everyone on here has claimed to have great experience with them.

My experience with there netbooks was horrible and I also bought one of there $600 models and Windows got all screwed up when I removed some of the bloat ware that was ingrained into the OS. So I do not think I would ever own a Asus again personally.

strollin

I will go with Asus cause that is what everyone on here has claimed to have great experience with them.

My experience with there netbooks was horrible and I also bought one of there $600 models and Windows got all screwed up when I removed some of the bloat ware that was ingrained into the OS. So I do not think I would ever own a Asus again personally.
At first you say you'll go with ASUS, then say that you don't think you'll ever own ASUS again due to personal experience. Aren't you contradicting yourself?

My personal opinion is you shouldn't do what other people tell you but make your own decision. If you have personally had bad experiences with ASUS then maybe you should try Dell to see if you would have a better experience.

CrazyMike

hmmm,

I see majority of comments are "don't go with DELL". I myself have a DELL laptop (had a DELL desktop in previous years) and have had no issues what so ever. Really all i did was purchase the thing from them. Have never needed customer service (i do all repairs myself, in which have yet to do). So i don't really see why DELL is bad, but apparently it is. :)

EDIT: Sorry i guess i should have pointed out that many friends and family of mine have ASUS Laptops. I have had to sit there and fix almost all of them. Hard drive issues, CPU issues, graphic issues, reformatting...ect. Now i cannot blame this on ASUS, as for it could easily be pinned on user error, but a point i thought i would bring up.

A common problem i had with ASUS (DELL could have this problem too) i have had many that the display cable gets broken from opening up and closing screen. I have replaced several.

Last edited:

mtb211

I repair all the laptops at my work... the dells break all the time... Go with the Asus... only good thing about dell is that if you get a three year warrenty they will come out and replace the parts for you.

DMGrier

VIP Member
At first you say you'll go with ASUS, then say that you don't think you'll ever own ASUS again due to personal experience. Aren't you contradicting yourself?

My personal opinion is you shouldn't do what other people tell you but make your own decision. If you have personally had bad experiences with ASUS then maybe you should try Dell to see if you would have a better experience.

I think I wrote that I would go with them for the fact everyone recommends them and that if you look at most studies that was conducted on reliability Asus is number one.

But I am still going to inform him of my user experience which when it comes to Asus not really all that great. What is funny is I have had better luck with Dell and Hp which are two companies that on this forum people do not recommend unless the second option is like Acer, gateway, emachine, etc.

Then you tell him your personal opinion? The man is smarter then most people doing some research on the models and wants to make sure that he does not buy a laptop that is known for frying a mobo right after the one year warranty is up, example being if he was comparing this to a Hp dv6 series laptop I would highly recommend the Asus to him cause even with my good luck with Hp's, the time I have been on this forum the hp's I have seen there build quality on here and more people having problems with them then any other company.

Last edited:

Hsv_Man

When possible i buy all my parts by Asus they have the best reliability/tech support for a hardware manufacturer in the world.