Asus v. Gigabyte

Haydos_69

Hey im sorta new at this so plz forgive me if i sound like an indiot but im goin to build myself a gaming computer from scratch and i have a problem in choosing between to sorts of motherboards:

Asus Rampage III Extreme MB, Socket 1366, X58, 6 x DDR3, 3-way SLI, CrossFire, RAID, SupremeFX X-Fi Audio, 2x Gigabit LAN, ATX

and

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD7 (Rev1.0) ATX, Socket 1156 supports i5/i7, P55 chipset, 4x DDR3 2600Mhz, 4x PCI-Ex16, 2x PCI-Ex1, 2x PCI, CrossFireX/SLI, 6x SATAII + 2x SATA3, RAID 0,1,5,10, 1xIDE, 2x Giga LAN, 3x1394a, 14xUSB2.0 + 2xUSB3.0, 7.1 Audio, 2oc PCB

Could you please help me in choosing, and any other additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

jevery

You need to decide which socket, ( hence which processor), you want to base your system on. Socket 1366 supports i7 Bloomfield and Gulftown processors. Socket 1156 supports i3, i5, and i7 Clarkdale and Lynnfield processors. The 1366 socket MBs have triple channel memory while the 1156 socket MBs have dual channel memory. The 1366 based processors are generally more expensive and faster than the 1156 based processors, however some of the 1156 based Lynnfield processors are as fast or maybe a little faster than the 1366 based Bloomfield processors. Pick your socket and processor, then pick your motherboard.

spynoodle

They're both good companies. As said, it depends what socket you want. If you want a superior gaming machine that's going to last you a long while, and you might want to upgrade to a faster CPU sometime long in the future, choose 1366. If you want something as fast as an i7 950, you're going to want 1366 since the high-end 1156 quads are pretty pricey. If you just want something decently fast but also cheap, I would go 1156 and get either the i5 661 or the i5 760. If you're not in a rush, just wait till December when Intel comes out with Sandy Bridge and socket 1155. That will give you much better upgradeability.

BillOhio

I've been going back and forth between GA's ud3 and ud5 for a while, but recently found this and think it'll work well with the 930 I've already bought. It's got better customer reviews and the combo/rebate price more than makes up the difference in price vs. the GA ud3. I know the CPU is tri-channel and even with the need of adding another 2GB stick of RAM I feel like I'm still getting a solid deal. 6GB of Kingston Ram and a higher end Asus board for $368 after the rebate.

If my thinking on that is off, I hope someone will let me know.

jarlmaster, Epic? ... Nice.

Last edited:

CravinR1

Both are great manufacturers

Asus Support 99x better than Gigabyte's (on OCN there are alot of negative reports on Gigabyte RMA)

Remeniz

Mmm...

Pretty unfair to compare an Asus socket 1366 board with a Gigabtye Socket 1156 board.

For an X58 set up either the Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R or Asus' P6X58D-E are my choice boards.

For a P55 rig i'd consider the Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2.