At a loss with internet connection

South1011

I have Cox cable Internet and am having some serious problems with staying connected to the internet. I have a Belkin wireless router running to 2 computers. There are times when it is up and running with no problems and the net runs well. Most of the time however it is not connected. Here is what happens typically ...

either Case A) the modem light blinks next to the "cable" label. It shows connection to the PC and the power is okay, but this light blinks ... I am guessing that means it is having trouble getting a signal from the cable company? Could it be a bad modem sense some times it will connect?

or Case B) The modem is connected fine, but the router has a blinking light on the "connected" lable. The modem shows that it is connected, revieveing a signal from the cable and recieveing data but the router will not connect? Could this be a bad router?

It has me at a loss because there are times when everything works just perfect like it should. I have setup a network between the two computers and that works flawlessly, but getting a signal to the internet has been a problem. It is always one of the two above that are happening when it wont let me on the net. Can someone please help me! :confused:

Trizoy

VIP Member
The only light that should be blinking is the activity or lan light. this shows when there is stuff moving across the router... I would make sure the router is no flat on the groun (carpet) as the clothy material maybe holding the heat in and making it overheat. Does it happen during the day more than the night?

shupola

South1011 said:
I have Cox cable Internet and am having some serious problems with staying connected to the internet. I have a Belkin wireless router running to 2 computers. There are times when it is up and running with no problems and the net runs well. Most of the time however it is not connected. Here is what happens typically ...

either Case A) the modem light blinks next to the "cable" label. It shows connection to the PC and the power is okay, but this light blinks ... I am guessing that means it is having trouble getting a signal from the cable company? Could it be a bad modem sense some times it will connect?

or Case B) The modem is connected fine, but the router has a blinking light on the "connected" lable. The modem shows that it is connected, revieveing a signal from the cable and recieveing data but the router will not connect? Could this be a bad router?

It has me at a loss because there are times when everything works just perfect like it should. I have setup a network between the two computers and that works flawlessly, but getting a signal to the internet has been a problem. It is always one of the two above that are happening when it wont let me on the net. Can someone please help me! :confused:

i have cable as well and mine goes out sometimes as well. i have no idea why and sometimes it just gets really slow. maybe there is just something about cable internet that does this :confused:

also, do you have splitter on the cable anywhere. ie: cable from the wall then to a splitter, one end going to tv and other to modem? i used a splitter and it killed my connection and i had to just run a different cable to my modem.

Qlutch

Your cable internet connection can be slowed down by the other people that are on the same cable line as you. Basically each line is given a certain amount of bandwidth, and everyone shares it. However, I wouldn't think this would cause you to lose your connection completely.