At&t Uverse, currently have a NVG510....its a pos. I want to replace it, possible?

cracker2

Is their anyway I can replace it with another? I'm about to buy a netgear N300(dgn2200 modem+router). I'm getting it for $20. It runs ADSL2+, exact same modulation my NVG510 is using. So i'm pretty sure it should work. But I got a feeling their is some stupid bs reason i'm still going to have to use the pos nvg510.
http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Wireless-ADSL2-Router-DGN2200/dp/B003NZSX7G
I went through 3 2wires in 2yrs when I had the slower plan. Have went through 3 nvg510 modem/routers in less than 6 months since I upgraded. I'm sick of these random disconnects everyday & having to get a at&t to come & check it out almost every month, just to replace it with the same pos again

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The nv510 provides Uverse internet which might mean you have to use their modem. If it was just basic dsl then you can use anything you wanted. I may be wrong but check into it since it's basically a different type of internet.

Darren

Staff member
My UVerse modem and router are all rolled in to one device. ATT will probably make it as difficult as possible to use your own device since you have to "rent" theirs.

cracker2

Yeah thats how this one is. I just wanted to replace the whole dang thing, what I was going to buy has both modem & router too. I have a linksys wrt54g router I could use but don't want to waste my time setting it up since this pos uverse modem/router will probably getting replaced again(will be 4th one in under 6months).

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I just searched online and a regular modem will not work with uverse, adsl compared to vdsl. I've heard that uverse is glitchy in certain areas. May not be the modem at all. Move to cable Internet if you can.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
DSL sucks no matter what provider you have. Definitely look into switching to cable.