ATI 4870 vs Nvidia 9800 GX2

IxBLACKHEARTxI

Link doesn't work.Well it appears that ATI is in for a big treat!From what I've read a lot of HD 4870 owners are reporting that there cards are dieing within a few days of installation.So maybe getting and HD 4870,4850 isn't so much of a good idea at the moment!

ALEKSA

It's a new card.

Interesting, when come up a new card from ATI, it worse then Nvidia, come on, give a little support. At least, that card have 800 -stream processors-, 256-bit, gddr5.

Maybe somebody make mistake, about overclock ?

lovely?

Lol drivers?No the cards are frying,that means they don't work no more.

do you know why their frying? because their owners are flashing the bios. there are a few that died because of a crossfire error, but the main reason so far is people flashing the bios. and even if the card does die after you flash the bios, there is a fix for it.

Geoff

VIP Member
It should, after all it is a dual-GPU card. As for the BIOS issues, I heard of a few problems.

One is that Crossfire could be one of the problems, the factory BIOS setting for the fan control is not set correctly, causing the fan to run too slowly and fry the cards. The other is that if people copy the flash and rewrite it to the video card, it uses the wrong size BIOS (64K versus 128K of the 4870).

Computer_Freak

Bit old and not true

Check the latest review on the nnet.

The GX2 beats it. But for the price the ATI 4870 cant be beat. But i have heard that they are frying in 3 days....

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
The "Super RV770" will arrive with pre-installed water-cooling and features unlocked BIOS, which enables the GPU to be pushed all the way to 950 MHz, while the memory can be pushed to 4.8 GT/s (1.2 GHz QDR). According to our sources, you may be able to push the GPU even beyond 1 GHz, if you use TEC elements, and keep the temperature of GPU low.

At 4.8 GT/s, the "Super RV770" can achieve a bandwidth of 150 GB/s, taking the crown from the GeForce GTX 280. The RV770 chip has a 256-bit (32-byte) interface, which means we can calculate the bandwidth in the following way:

ATI RV770: 32-byte x 4.8 Billion Transfers/sec = 150 GB/s
Nvidia GT200: 64-byte x 2.2 Billion Transfers/sec = 138.37 GB/s

http://www.tgdaily.com/html_tmp/content-view-38194-135.html