Ati Radeon HD 4870 stutter?

hey i just got this card today. i just installed the latest drivers, and i thought everything was going to be peachy, but i started getting a huge amount of stutter. realized it was due to over heating (90 C!) put my fan to 60% constant, now is under 60 C most of the time. But i still get stutter! idon't under stand :/ please help me! thanx

SMGOwnage

Set the fan to 100% and try again and give us the tempreture.

One reason for stuttering is an unstable overclock, check that the clocks are at default and give us the results.

87dtna

What drivers are you using, what game are you playing with what settings/resolution?

If it got to 90c, my guess is it's stressing the GPU 100% all the time which means the card isn't really strong enough for your settings/resolution. So your FPS is low, causing lag.

i set the fan to 75%, temps went down to like 40 C (i don't have very good cooling, hoping to get a good case, thinking antec 300, recommend me some) Clocks are at default....using the newest drivers, 12.1. res: 1024 x 768 (im just not fond of a huge screen in front of me, plus i'm poor so :p) the reason it got to 90 C is cuz i wasnt paying attention and let the fan take care of it's self, but the fan never went above 40% so ya. games, bf3 all low everything as low as possible but with 1024 x 768 res. counter strike source, everything high, but comon, my old 4670 could hit 300 frames no problem on that game. black ops was stuttering horribly, and it usually doesnt, on lowest settings it even stuttered.

EDIT: was playing bf3 and no stutter whatsoever. fixed itself? idk....i'll keep you posted on it.

87dtna

What CPU do you have?

Black ops takes a lot of CPU power to not have lag.

BUT, I would go back to 11.12 drivers. Such an old card doesn't need the latest drivers, in fact it may cause issues.

CardboardSword

What's your power supply? A 4870 takes a lot more juice to run than a 4670, so if your power supply isn't up to snuff the card won't perform properly. Other times they just blow up so if that's what it is you're lucky. :p

true true, but my friend was running this off a 300w psu, im sure because he still has the psu, and he usually had it at 70% fan constant and he never crashed because of power failure. plus this is a cooler master 460w so ya. anyways i fixed it, somehow. my best bet was it was overheating the first time, then i guess it just fixed itself after i restarted. plus i didnt realize that the second slot i had for the card, the part for airflow, had it covered with the metal piece, traping the heat inside. allwell problem solved :D