Attempted Bios Update & Computer won't reboot

rars222

I did a bios update and when the computer went to restart, it froze on the Intel Board screen and won't reboot.

Windows XP Pro
SP1

dave597

VIP Member
uh oh thats pretty bad. :( i think you should try resetting the bios by pulling the thing out of the mobo for a few secs and putting it back in.

or try going into bios first if you can and load fail safe defaults. that might help.

dave597

VIP Member
there should be a little jumper like thing near the bios chip, that aroudn it has a word saying reset or something - it should be obvious if it isnt tell me what make and model of board it is and ill find out for ya.

neway if you find it pull it out and put it back in again, then restart.

rars222

so i am thinking the mobo is fried. gotta love it. I have to say my cat has caused an expensive mishap. it seems she crashed my desktop (literally) at that very moment there should not of been any interuptions!

rars222

would that be thebios configuration jumper block? I see it in the manual. So you suggest unplugging it if there is such a thing...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
so i am thinking the mobo is fried
Unless you overvolted the board, you didnt "fry" it

I have to say my cat has caused an expensive mishap. it seems she crashed my desktop (literally) at that very moment there should not of been any interuptions!
Shoot it

rars222

Praetor we can always rely on you to be so literal :) You love the devil's advocate!

Anyways...when I said fried my mobo...i meant to the point it won't work. Not meaning voltage. I was using the term in a different context.

I have made a floppy of the Bios update and followed the manual...removing the jumper on the mobo and connecting only power and speakers.

When I power up, the floppy LED comes on briefly and there are no beep codes at all.

Can anyone offer any insight? I copied the express Bios update off of Intel.com. It's an exe file...is this the correct file?

On a final note: Shoot my cat?! Never, but if there was a point I thought about it....

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Praetor we can always rely on you to be so literal You love the devil's advocate!
LOL i saw the problem as essentially dealt with (in theory) so i figured to add some light humor :D

Can anyone offer any insight? I copied the express Bios update off of Intel.com. It's an exe file...is this the correct file?
Run it from windows .. it should extract to a .ROM or similar file :)

and followed the manual...removing the jumper on the mobo and connecting only power and speakers.
Uh .... dont you also have to pop the battery (and put the jumper back)?

rars222

No mention of popping the battery in the manual???

Run the floppy from windows? I am trying to run the bios update from the floppy as described in the manual. Could you be more specific? Not sure what you mean.

Humor is a wonderful thing if you aren't knee-deep in issues!

S_Doherty

Unfortuantely, when you are flashing your BIOS there can be no interruptions or this will result in a situation that you are currently experiencing...your system will not boot....when you try resetting the jumpers you should also remove the power from the back of the PC to completely rid it of it of any source of power

rars222

I've been trying. It just won't seem to reset. Man o man. Got a predicament! Question: Should I disconnect everything except the mobo, ram and video card?

Could be a thing to do. Take aout the battery and jumper and place the jumper to reset. Then replace the battery. Power it back on, jumper on RESET. And don't always rely to the manual. Sometimes, they don't say stuff

Geoff

VIP Member
dave597 said:
uh oh thats pretty bad. :( i think you should try resetting the bios by pulling the thing out of the mobo for a few secs and putting it back in.

or try going into bios first if you can and load fail safe defaults. that might help.

What he means is that you have to open your case up, look at the motherboard, there is a Jumper (some might stand out) and says CMOS on the motherboard. Take this and move it down from the first 2 pins, to the last pin (your motherboard manual will tell u how to do this) and that should work.