Attempted Steam Account hack

CrayonMuncher

Hi,

I woke up this morning to an email from steam guard for access from a new computer with an ip address in Korea, apart from being concerned re steam, I am concerned if other passwords could have been compromised.

I have ran malwarebytes/jrt/adw and nothing that important came up, a few PUPs which were related to ads mostly.

I find it weird that last night was the first time I've gamed online on steam for well over two years and then this happens (I didnt download any 3rd party software).

So im just wondering if you guys think my other accounts are safe, and also how this could have happened (although I know that is hard to tell)

Running windows 10 fresh upgrade, (which was from a fresh install of windows 7) It is a fully legitmate and activated copy btw

Troncoso

VIP Member
It just sounds like your password may have been compromised, which definitely isn't unheard of. I'd only be concerned about your other accounts that use the same password. Changing them wouldn't be a bad idea.

beers

Staff member
I'd change pw from another system and google your previous one. The account pair might have made it onto a list at some point, although the timing of it from yesterday makes it sound really malware specific.