Awesome for games, not for videos

MCanavan6

Got a new computer yesterday (HP a1230n) and the first game I bought was the Half-Life 2 pack with Counter Strike: Source. To try out my new graphics card I started watching some videos on a website called break.com. The quality of these videos and any other videos I have watched on this computer have completely sucked, they are all blury and the screen is made up of little squares. However playing Counter Strike and Half-Life 2 the graphics are very good and better than any computer I have ever owned. The graphics card in my computer is an ATI Radeon Xpress 200 which was made integrated for AMD processors. Why are the graphics in a game good, yet they suck for wathcing videos? How can I change this without buying a new graphics card?

Xycron

banned
i dont think it would have to do with the video card, are you sure thats not just the wuility of the video's? try watching the vide's form wnother PC NOW, they might have changed since you last veiwed them.

4W4K3

VIP Member
I watched some of them, they look fine to me (RADEON IGP 320M gfx for this laptop i'm on)

Possibly change the settings of the browser? Maybe right click the video and see if it's set on low quality or w/e?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
first of all, that integrated graphics card isn't that good for games. To test that out, try maxing out all the settings in hl2 lost coast and you'll see what i mean.

And for the video...do you have a slow internet connection? Maybe some video settings are messed up or the resolution is just low

Ak-Sniper

Could be just really bad video quaility since I don't think a graphic card has power over movies and stuff. Try watching a dvd and see how that turns out.

MCanavan6

Ak-Sniper said:
Could be just really bad video quaility since I don't think a graphic card has power over movies and stuff. Try watching a dvd and see how that turns out.
I'm sure its not the video quality because on my old computer the quality was fine and it had an integrated 11mb graphics card.

NeuromancerWGDD'U

I'd look at either the video files themselves or the codecs. Try downloading the latest version of WMP or Real Player, or whatever you wish to use. Also, has the quality gone all pear-shaped with video files on the computer, or just over the net? If it's just over the net...may just be bad plug-in's.

Anywho, that's not going to be a problem with the video card. I'm 99.9999999% sure that it's software related (there is no "absolutely" positive, ever).

Last edited:

MCanavan6

NeuromancerWGDD'U said:
I'd look at either the video files themselves or the codecs. Try downloading the latest version of WMP or Real Player, or whatever you wish to use. Also, has the quality gone all pear-shaped with video files on the computer, or just over the net? If it's just over the net...may just be bad plug-in's.

Anywho, that's not going to be a problem with the video card. I'm 99.9999999% sure that it's software related (there is no "absolutely" positive, ever).
so I should just download new versions of windows media, real, and quicktime?

Greg J.

VIP Member
In the ATI control panel (with the newest ATI drivers), turning up the anisotropic filtering, anti-aliasing settings and perhaps vsync on with a moderate refresh rate of 85Hz might increase the quality of your video a little bit.

Last edited:

MCanavan6

Greg J. said:
In the ATI control panel (with the newest ATI drivers), turning up the anisotropic filtering, anti-aliasing settings and perhaps vsync on with a moderate refresh rate of 85Hz might increase the quality of your video a little bit.
How do I get to the ATI control panel?

Greg J.

VIP Member
There should be a shortcut on your desktop. If not, then double click the ATI icon in your system tray by the clock. An ATI menu should pop up. You should be able to navigate to what you need via the ATI menu tabs.

Another way is to right-click your desktop and click "properties". When that menu comes up, click the "Settings" tab and click the "Advanced" button. That should bring up the ATI menu.

Last edited:

Greg J.

VIP Member
Actually, there should be options inside the ATI menu with slider bars ranging from "Performance" to "Quality". Sorry about my earlier instructions.

In simple terms, "anti-aliasing" smoothes out diagonal lines that are jagged so the image appears smoother. This is especially nice in games.

"Anisotrphic Filtering" basically sharpens up two-dimensional objects (flat) like sprites and textures in games (like on walls, floors, etc.).

Refresh rate is how many times your monitor (if it is a regular monitor, not a flatpanel or LCD) redraws its picture. Usually to lessen headaches, a higher refresh rate is used than the factory setting of 60Hz.

"Vsync" is an option found in many games that allows the frame rate of the game to be matched to the refresh rate of the monitor. Generally, allowing VSync provides the greatest stability, but turning it off can allow for much higher frame rates. The downside of the greater speed is the potential for artifacts (messed up older drawn graphics) to develop.

MCanavan6

Greg J. said:
Actually, there should be options inside the ATI menu with slider bars ranging from "Performance" to "Quality". Sorry about my earlier instructions.

In simple terms, "anti-aliasing" smoothes out diagonal lines that are jagged so the image appears smoother. This is especially nice in games.

"Anisotrphic Filtering" basically sharpens up two-dimensional objects (flat) like sprites and textures in games (like on walls, floors, etc.).

Refresh rate is how many times your monitor (if it is a regular monitor, not a flatpanel or LCD) redraws its picture. Usually to lessen headaches, a higher refresh rate is used than the factory setting of 60Hz.

"Vsync" is an option found in many games that allows the frame rate of the game to be matched to the refresh rate of the monitor. Generally, allowing VSync provides the greatest stability, but turning it off can allow for much higher frame rates. The downside of the greater speed is the potential for artifacts (messed up older drawn graphics) to develop.
I changed all of these and the video quality doesn't seem to be any better. Which should I change and which should I leave the same?