B2 problem with brothers build

deankenny

So my brother upgraded his 660 to a 770.

Upon first installation the monitor shows a dash top left and B2 in the bottom right.

Upon googling I found it's a case of upgrading the mobo bios.

No problem I thought connect to onboard vga and upgrade bios. Thing is there is no picture showing up plugging both into onboard vga and dvi, i know theres power there because the monitor will show no signal detected when not connected when i plug in this dissapears but monitor stays blank with orange standby light.

Tried the 770 on my temp machine and it boots fine.

Next step to reset cmos, did all the parts, tried battery removal and jumper swap, still no signal coming on board graphics.

So I pulled my 280x out my machine, plugged it in into my bros, all fans spinning so i know its working, but again no screen. It does get a screen with the 770 but with B2 in the corner.

His mobo is a A55M P33.

We know the pc is booting correctly, hd is spinning and flashing, keyboard is lighting up as it boots through the process etc.

I just need a screen so I can update the bios, all I have is the 280x and onboard graphics both of which result in explained above, please help, any ideas.

Aastii

VIP Member
What power supply is he using?

Have you tried unplugging the card and running off the onboard alone?

deankenny

Just bought a new PSU today for it Raider SLI 750.

Yes, have pulled the card out and plugged into onboard vga, monitor goes blank and monitor light stays orange.

spirit

Staff member
Are you sure that the BIOS update was successful? You may have bricked the motherboard. If you're not getting any video from a GPU and/or the onboard then that's could be a motherboard issue unless you've tried another power supply and can confirm that you get a display when a different PSU is used.

Might be worth checking: have you tried reseating or removing one or more of the RAM sticks? Sometimes bad RAM can cause these display issues.

Might also be worth taking the board out of the case and running it on cardboard or a wooden surface just to check that there is nothing shorting the board - could be the problem (but more likely dead board or bad RAM).

StrangleHold

Staff member
Are you sure swapping all theses video cards out, that your plugging the PCIe power connectors in? Have you tried putting the 660 back in to see if it boots?

Okedokey

I know you feel you have done some of this already, but try again in order.

1. Remove all the discrete GPUs, remove the CMOS battery, keep the cord plugged in and turn the pc off at the PSU and the wall (with the power cable still connected).
  2. Hold down the computer on button for 30 secs.
  3. Reinsert the CMOS battery. Turn the power on at the wall and PSU.
  4. Connect the monitor to the onboard graphics output. i.e. no discrete gpu installed.
  5. Try and enter the BIOS. Set as default. Save and restart.
  6. Re-enter the BIOS, set the correct boot priority and other key settings.
  7. Enter windows, uninstall all nvidia graphics drivers and software.
  8. Shutdown.
  9. Insert the 770, ensuring you have the the PCIe power cables connected.
  10. Restart, and download and install latest nvidia drivers.
  11. Restart.

Last edited:

deankenny

Hi guys thanks for the help.

I have sorted for anyone interested. His new 770 and my 280x simply would not work because Im guessing its an old motherboard and tech was too new on these gpu cards.
Luckily I had a friend who had an old Radeon 4000 series, plugged it in and got screen and boot to windows. I went to MSI website and updated the motherboard drivers from 1.4 to 2.0 using a USB PEN as per instructions.

Mobo bios upgrade was succesful once completed, I put the 770 in fingers crossed and bang it booted and went to windows :) So all sorted.

Only downside was when doing all that my brother went and ordered a new mobo with an i5 3570k to compliment the 770 so my hours of work were wasted :(

Still as you pc guys know was a nice personal accomplishment and good feeling to get it working.