Backup of OS

pcmagic

Hi guys and gals,

Having had to completely re-install my operating system (and thus programs, settings etc) on a number of occasions over the last couple of years and having just had to do the same I am desperate to find a way of backing up my operating system along with my installed programs and settings so that in the event of an OS failure I can simply restore from this backup.

I have three internal Hard Drives -
Drive C: 40GB - OS, Programs, Settings
Drive D: 150GB - Holds data, all my music, photos, documents etc etc!
Drive G: 40GB - EMPTY

My question is, what is the best way i could backup my C drive which holds the OS and Programs, incase of anything going wrong, I can boot up from my backup and continue, rthar than spending hours fixing, repairing, re-installing and setting everything up again.

Anyway. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.

Kind regards,
PCM

tremmor

Always liked Acronis True Image. that was the 1st thing i did. was try it.
did a military wipe. and replaced. took all updates (critical and security) then installed the programs and updates i liked. MS Office and updates, firefox, thunderbird, set up the email, and got it working right. then saved.

pcmagic

Sounds ideal and what I'm looking to do.

I guess I could backup the OS to the empty HDD.

However, How would you go about recovering the system if the C Drive failed and you wanted to use the backup image?

Thanks!

tremmor

it will create its own backup image and boot process. the program works well.
it will create a boot disc and backup ready to go.

pcmagic

I tired to clone the disk using Acronis but when I need to pick a source disk my Local C Drive isn't there, it's only the other two data drives... Any ideas?

Loooks like this is a winnner if I could get this.

tremmor

honestly i don't know. im guessing. might be another goose chase and waste of time. when i 1st tried it i did not just back up. i booted and installed the backup with no problems. it even recognized the usb in dos mode. if no replies from others then i would contact acronis for support. im guessing your windows is working properly. i see no reason why it should be a problem. Something is different on your computer. is the boot backup for the primary drive? c: or bios.

are you sure your pointing to the right drive. One thing. ive run into similar problems. i was very specific about renaming the drives. say your operating system in mounted on c: drive. (likely). goto explorer right click the drive. and name it c_primary or what ever. something diff is happening.