Bad Win Update, now XP won't load.

bcomatts

Today I bought a new 160gb SATA HD to be my new OS drive. Installed, SCSI drivers, formatted, installed Win XP x64 Pro. Did everything exactly the same as before as I did with my old 80gb IDE, only a couple of weeks ago.

Went to do the Windows Update, selected Express & installed everything. Left it for a while, later checked back and it was installing 40-something of 51 updates.. looked back again later and I saw a blue screen of death. Something to the effect of: Windows is being shut down to protect the OS, something may have gone wrong with a driver, if problem persists, run safe mode and disable problematic drivers.

XP refuses to load, even in Safe Mode, or last restore point that worked, or debug mode... nothing. Any ideas?

On my last configuration w/ the 80gb IDE, the Windows Update went smoothly. On my last config I was experiencing many problems, regular restarts and freezing, apparently I may need to update my BIOS which I did not try before going to my SATA drive, nor have I had a chance to do so on the fresh XP install on the new HD. Also was having troubles on the 80gb HD, hence buying a new HD.

Any ideas on getting into Windows? Any other thoughts? Thanks!

Why x64 XP and not x86? Tried x86, x64 runs slightly faster and is actually more stable.

meanman

first of ditch windows 64 you are asking for incompatable drivers secondly
did you load the mobo drivers after you installed windows if not i think that is the problem because you need the sata drivers of the cd you might have to start again im not sure

bcomatts

The only drivers that I can find for the SATA were for the at time of OS install drivers. But I decided to reinstall those drivers again and now I am able to get back into windows.

As for x64, currently i have found all x64 drivers for all my hardware, so I think I can manage.