batch renaming

tremmor

Got a bunch of pictures. I need to rename. I looked at powertoys and found nothing. Any suggestions for batch renaming?

tlarkin

VIP Member
I mean that if it were a *nix box there are powerful commands built into the shell that can run batch renaming jobs.

tremmor

im listening Tlarkin. im using xp pro.
If its built in i would like to hear about it please.
thanks

tlarkin

VIP Member
im listening Tlarkin. im using xp pro.
If its built in i would like to hear about it please.
thanks

I was referring to Linux, but Windows does have what is called a powershell, that is an optional download. You can write scripts and batch files using power shell to automate this task.

With it being windows though, you can probably just find a third party application that does this for you.

How exactly do you want to rename them?

tremmor

No particular order.
Actually i found a proggy i had for years. 'Irfanview'.
Does batch renaming with or without a displacment.
Nice proggy. allows basic editing and has a hundred pluggins
for all video or what ever. i thank you very much.
Ive likely had this for about 10 yrs now. just never payed attenion
to all the features.

http://irfanview.com/

PC Hobbyist

Like lubo4444, I would also recommend RenameMaster (from joejoesoft). I have been using it for several years. It's great! And it's free!

Another good freeware is Renamer. You can find it here. It has some nice features, although I find that it is not as intuitive to use as RenameMaster. But I believe it has features that RenameMaster lacks.

Check them both out and pick your favorite.

tremmor

I decided to keep using ifanview. i just had to figure it out again. took about 20min.

on the lighter side i found a way to do with windows but not a displacement.
goto explorer, hightlight all then click rename. it will rename the 1st through the last. No options for a displacement like 1000, 10010 and 10020. it worked well though. just another thought.