Before I build, is this pheasible?

ThePacster

I would have posted this in the other section of the forums, but somehow this section seemed more appropriate. So mods, feel free to move this if it should be elsewhere.

The computer I'm on right now, I've owned longer than I care to remember, so I want to build a mid to high end gaming machine, but there's a catch.

I'm currently in college, on the typical tight to non-existant budget, but I may have a solution. I recently applied for, and received a credit card, but the limit is $250. The Idea is to buy $250 in parts at a time, and pay it off until I have everything I need and then build it. It will take time, but its the best I can afford to do right now. In the long term, my budget is looking to be around $1000 to $1200, but the bigger question is, would it be possible for all of my individual parts to cost less than $250?

kof2000

for 250 you can first buy a processor,case,mobo,psu onboard video and 512mb ram, that will get you going while you upgrade bit by bit :) dont expect anything top of the line though at the rate you're going with the 250 monthly thingy :)

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Save the money, if you're going to buy 250 dollars worth of parts at a time, by the time you buy your last part, your first one might be outdated already, or the price of the item has dropped significantly.

ThePacster

Well the reason for doing it $250 at a time is mainly because when the credit card bill comes, I won't have to pay $250 all at once. Something is always coming up, causing my money to be spent before I even earn it. Knowing at the end of the month I only need to pay maybe $80 out of my pocket I can handle. Saving up has always ended poorly for me due to some complication or another.

heyman421

banned
pretend you're paying your credit card bill each month, and put $250 in a savings account

by the time you have $1500-2000 saved, you'll be able to get a 10x better computer than you could today.

if you start buying parts $250 at a time, your stuff's going to be outdated by the time you turn on the power

not to mention if you buy the same system when you have all the money up front later on, it'll be way cheaper

heyman421

banned
probably only going to give him the same credit limit as his card, not to mention he already has the hard credit check on his record from getting his current credit card, so he most likely wont be approved for any.

ceewi1

VIP Member
You're MUCH better off to put the money aside rather than putting it on credit. As everyone has said, by the time you have enough components for a working computer, they'll have dropped in price significantly, and will likely be outdated. In addition, there's no need to waste money on interest payments if you won't even be able to use the system until you've finally bought everything.

ThePacster

Well this credit card, although the limit is small, has 0% APR and no annual fees. It was a special deal from Visa for college students. I figured since I my money is tight, this way I can at least build credit getting my parts. And whether or not the computer becomes outdated isn't a big issue to me since, well things seem to be outdated by the next week anyway. Not to mention the fact that, since I only have a checking account, no side accounts or anything like that, I know myself well enough to know that having money just sitting in there waiting to be used is not gonna happen. If there's money in there, there's a bill somewhere out there calling for my money.

Last edited: