Best anti-virus test

alicein1derville

I have battled several viruses this year and used a few free anti-virus, trojan and spyware programs. Kinda got tired of it all. I talked to my friend who work with computers all the time about it, and he said he would do a test.

So he got several free anti-virus programs and installed them one at a time on a fresh system and infected them, then he recorded how many and which ones the anti-virus program recorded after a scan.

He told me that he had to wipe the systems and clone the drive from a clean one for each test, and that in the end most of them found a lot of the same spyware, viruses and trojans.

He said that the differences between the anti-virus programs were that outside of the common stuff they all found, each program had some viruses they didn’t find, and other found those but not other ones. He made a graph, but I don’t have a scanner so I can’t put it up here.

We looked at all the test and he felt that Cyberdefender was the best of the bunch because it found all the common viruses, and the largest number of non-common viruses.

Now, most of the free anti-virus programs he tried he said were either just scanners that would only remove the problems after you buy, or were 30 day or other limited version, but they all gave a good indication how the paid versions would work.

I bought and installed Cyberdefender for my computer (he got it for his companies systems also) since it seems to offer the best protection, for the best price with features others didn’t offer as part of the package.

My friend also told me that one of the things that he like about Cyberdefender is that it runs fast and that for a home user, the 24/7 computer help service could be very helpful.

Hope this review is helpful. Look forward to any comments.

FairDoos

I personally use COMODO it is FREE it has a firewall and on guard protection its never let me down i actually prefer it over AVG but the only bad point is the slow Virus check.

Steve Mavronis

I been using the free AVAST home edition every since I got Windows Vista a year and a half ago. I researched it beforehand and it rated better on detection rates compared to AVG and others. Plus it doesn't mess with my Windows Mail. I was using McAfee but it was corrupting my Windows Mail data (making me lose everything in my mailbox multiple times) even if I turned off email scanning. I read that Norton/Symantec did the same thing. But AVAST has been great and doesn't slow down my PC like McAfee did. It has even blocked certain webpages with suspect ads (especially on MySpace profiles) giving me a yellow and black striped warning banner over the taskbar to close the connection before any infection takes place. I have it on all of my family and friend's computers too. My fathers laptop got the nasty "Antivirus 2009" virus (from a bogus web warning dialog box) that was difficult to remove until I put AVAST on. Ran a full scan (on boot before Windows starts) and it found and cleaned everything up. It's free and you just register with your email address every 14 months to get a new registration code emailed to you and copy and paste it in, and you can use the same license code on all of your home computers. I use it in conjuction with the free Microsoft Windows Defender resident protection (for spyware) and Windows Firewall.

Here is a recent multi-page PC Magazine review on Avast Home Edition from April 2008.

Steve

Last edited:

jashsayani

I use the paid subscription of Kaspersky and its really cool. Except it wiped out important system files and spoilt Windows today :D

v8ornot2v8

So not long ago my system got hammered by an trojan virus and oh my gooness - that sucked. It took over my browser and I had some Word Problems on my home8systm. Well I tried Cyberdefender and it found even more stuff - but after word my system worked okay.

I do like Cyberdefender and the fact that it found some stuff that the other didn't, and that I thought was ok. After that my stystem worked okay.

It's great that it looks for spyware, trojans & malware - not only virus.

It seems like paying for the upgrade is well worth it with the 2G of online backup and technical support since I seem to not really have this hole computer thing down completely.

Best antivirus

According to me AVG is a good antivirus it has several features which make it different form the other antivirus .
and good thing about this is that its s free.

wardhanster

i personally use avira antiviruse personal edition , and recommend others too.
but along with avira i use AVG too they make a great combo... and lands me on the safest system...

alicein1derville

It seems like paying for the upgrade is well worth it with the 2G of online backup and technical support since I seem to not really have this hole computer thing down completely.

I have used the technical support a few times and they are always super nice and helpful. Also, they will answer general computer questions too, not just as they pertain to Cyberdefender. I have had nothing but a great experience with Cyberdefender.

Nikole

I suggest you for the AVg 8.5 antivirus software, i am personally using this software since a long time . and i did get any virus or malware related threat .

ComputerNut

I've been using AVG Free for a while now and have had no problems. Give it a try. I also recommend using at least two anti-spyware/adware programs, one may nab what the other misses. For me I use Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition and Spybot Search and Destroy.