Best Network Option

Barto

Hi
I have a desktop PC which is connected to the internet broadband and a new laptop. For the laptop to connect to the internet I just use the ethernet cable from the modem to the desktop in the laptop to the modem and I can access the net. I would like to share files across both computers and also connect the laptop to a printer which the desktop is connected to. I am wondering what the best option is? Do I need a router to allow both access to the net and share? Or can I just use a connecting USB cable or another sort of cable like the current ethernet? Because both don't have their own net access does that affect me wanting to share? The desktop is rather old so it only has one ethernet port while the laptop has wireless but I would be happy to use a cable as I'm not the tech savy. Not sure as to the features of both. I also don't want anything to hard to install.

Hoping someone can help. It would be gretly appreciated.
cheers

Encryptor

Hi,

The simple answer is, a router will do the Job.

I recommend a Buffalo AirStation WHR-HP-G54 or similar and installing the DD-WRT firmware will add the options of a very expensive commercial grade Router.

Encryptor
Linux rocks the planet...

AdmnPower

VIP Member
You could go for a wifi router which would allow both of your computers to connect to the internet at the same time while allowing you to roam around and use the internet on your laptop. If your wanting something really easy you could just buy a switch. You'd have to plug your modem into the switch then plug the other two devices into the switch. Provided your modem will give out more than one IP address via DHCP you should be ready to go. This would be the easier setup although you wouldn't have wireless then.

Encryptor

If your wanting something really easy you could just buy a switch. You'd have to plug your modem into the switch then plug the other two devices into the switch. .

99% of ISP's (Internet Service Providers) only provide 1 IP (Internet Protocol) address, therefore a Switch would fail to work.

Using a Router would act as a partial firewall, which may prevent some direct hax attempts.

Encryptor

AdmnPower

VIP Member
Actually, that wasn't the ip i was talking about. I realize you only get one external ip address but most modems are sort of like router modems because they do NAT. Some ISP's set their modems to only give out one internal address so you can't share the internet with several computers without getting some hardware.

DizzlyDood

Actually, that wasn't the ip i was talking about. I realize you only get one external ip address but most modems are sort of like router modems because they do NAT. Some ISP's set their modems to only give out one internal address so you can't share the internet with several computers without getting some hardware.

A modem doesn't deal in DHCP or NAT.

Geoff

VIP Member
A modem doesn't deal in DHCP or NAT.
Most broadband modems do include NAT as well as DHCP (at least the DSL modems I've used do). They only have one ethernet port, however you can connect that to a switch and it works fine, no need for another router.

Encryptor

[-0MEGA-];1135128 said:
Most broadband modems do include NAT as well as DHCP (at least the DSL modems I've used do). They only have one ethernet port, however you can connect that to a switch and it works fine, no need for another router.

The Cable Modems used by some ISP's allow 1 WAN (Wide Area Network) IP and 1 LAN (Local Area Network) IP, which means a switch would not work in this case (direct linked), unless ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) was deployed. If the Modem does allow DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol) then a switch would likely work.

In the End the best option is still a Router.

Encryptor

Last edited:

Barto

Thanks for replying and offering your thoughts. It's a great help. Just one more thing. Since a router is my best option I guess I would a usb adapter for the desktop to work wireless for the router? Also is the a difference between a N router and a G router?