Best Suited Operating System

gamerman4

I You don't even need to use FAT32, you can use the native HFS+ file system. Plus if you wanted to, Macs can now read/write NTFS via FUSE from Google.

As far as I know HFS+ is not supported in Windows, the reason behind my statement was actually a question I had to figure out a while back when I had to transfer some very large files from a Mac to my PC via an external drive. I ended up trying Macdrive which at the time didn't even work for Windows 7 so I just ended up using FAT32. Next time I'll have to go check out FUSE, that might be pretty useful.

/\E

As far as I know HFS+ is not supported in Windows, the reason behind my statement was actually a question I had to figure out a while back when I had to transfer some very large files from a Mac to my PC via an external drive. I ended up trying Macdrive which at the time didn't even work for Windows 7 so I just ended up using FAT32. Next time I'll have to go check out FUSE, that might be pretty useful.

Snow Leopard(10.6) includes a driver in Bootcamp that will allow the OS in Bootcamp to read the HFS+ drive.

gamerman4

Snow Leopard(10.6) includes a driver in Bootcamp that will allow the OS in Bootcamp to read the HFS+ drive.

That's pretty neat but not really helpful in my situation though unless you could isolate the driver and install it on any PC.

Hugh9191

there is a bit of software called HFSExplorer which allows you to read (but not write) to Mac formatted drives.

dubesinhower

What basis do you have to prove this? Virtual machines, while they don't perform as well as native, almost perform the same. You are just putting a virtual layer between the software and hardware, and it keeps getting better every release.

not so much. with a virtual machine, you arent using your native hardware at all except to help run the virtualization. you use hardware that the vm virtualizes for you, including network, audio, and graphics.

you have limited 3d graphics acceleration, so goodbye gaming.

also, most vm's are based on old audio drivers, so sound quality can be limited at times.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
not so much. with a virtual machine, you arent using your native hardware at all except to help run the virtualization. you use hardware that the vm virtualizes for you, including network, audio, and graphics.

you have limited 3d graphics acceleration, so goodbye gaming.

also, most vm's are based on old audio drivers, so sound quality can be limited at times.

You are using your native hardware, except with a virtual layer over it. The software isn't emulating hardware, which is why they are called virtual machines and not emulators. The 3D performance is mainly due to the lack of Direct X support in virtual machines. Last I read VMs were fully DX8 compatible.

The NICs are generally just virtual bridges of your actual NIC so they don't need drivers, which is not a big deal. Servers run tons of virtual NICs all the time.

Performance, yes it will perform less, but it is getting better each day. When you run native Windows apps on a Mac or Linux box with CrossOver it is not a virtual machine at all, it is a set of APIs that run in an enclosed "bottle" that fool the app that it is running in Windows. WINE is an example of this as well. Those apps tend to run just as good for the most part.

The only time you get major performance hits is when you try to do something very taxing like 3D work, or gaming, or heavy graphic design. All other basic tasks run just fine.

tlarkin

VIP Member
tlarkin, meet wikipedia.

definition of platform virtualization

the vmware wiki explaining core design

"VMware software provides a completely virtualized set of hardware to the guest operating system.[9] VMware software virtualizes the hardware for a video adapter, a network adapter, and hard disk adapters."

although i see you what you mean, tlarkin, the devices in a vm will never compare to their hardware counterparts, atm.

That confirms what I said....it lays a virtual layer over the hardware