BF3 Gaming Rig ~$1800 Budget - Comments/concerns?

fire r a g e

Well, due to some financial problems, I was unable to build on Feb 19th. I currently have a job and the $365 I will get as paycheck on the 16th will allow me to have enough $ to build my PC. BF3 and Skyrim are going to be the most intensive games of the bunch I plan on playing. I could say all the games, but the build for BF3 and Skyrim should be able to play those other games as well.

Without further ado, here is my build:

Approximate Purchase Date: March 23

Budget Range: $1800 (this budget includes BF3)

System Usage from Most to Least Important:

Parts Not Required: OS & KB/Mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, ncix.com, microcenter.com, amazon.com

Parts Preferences: Intel and AMD GPU for eyefinity (unless you can give me a very good reason not to go for eyefinity).

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Crossfire at a later date

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080What do you all think?

Additional comments:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=13328589

Intel Core i5-2500k (will be $195 after tax)

Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23" e-IPS Panel Monitor $240
I chose this monitor based on the great reviews

XFX Radeon 7950: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074CCDN4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A3LJ5WMKNRFKQS

100ft Cat5e Cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K11OKE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=A397FHERGRZQ2E

With the BF3 game, total comes to about $1800 give or take $10.

I will be running eyefinity in the future and would like a monitor better than mine, if any, that looks good in eyefinity. In the future, I plan to buy more games and a gaming keyboard/mouse or both.

What do you all think?

OxfordPCRepairs

forget previous comment heads in the clouds today
The monitor you have listed has huge bezels for eyefinty dont forget when you have 2 together that would be like 2 inches gap between screens i use Samsung MD230
hardly any bezel at all

fire r a g e

I have seen eyefinity with that monitor, and it seems ok to me. :p

However, I am not closed-minded about monitors, so suggest away. :p

fire r a g e

I have gotten some odd replies on another forums. They say I am getting a card that won't have a HUGE impact and that one 6870 is enough for my needs, but I don't want to run on med settings. I want maxed settings.

claptonman

They are definitively misinformed... If you want max settings on games while running three monitors in the future, a 6870 would not handle that. The video card is the most important parts of a computer build. Any game will not use all of your CPU or RAM power, but it will take up a huge part of your video card.

fire r a g e

They are definitively misinformed... If you want max settings on games while running three monitors in the future, a 6870 would not handle that. The video card is the most important parts of a computer build. Any game will not use all of your CPU or RAM power, but it will take up a huge part of your video card.
They are saying spending $480 on a GPU is major overkill unless I plan to do CAD.

They also say eyefinity is more trouble than it benefits. I really like the immersion aspect, though.

Here is the topic: http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1550664-bf3-gaming-pc/

salvage-this

I agree with Claptonman. You have been misinformed. I can play BF3 maxed with my current setup but only just. For BF3 maxed on one 1080p display you would need at least a GTX 570 or AMD 7950/7970. My personal recomendation is to either go for the 7950/7970 or wait for the nVidia 7xx series to come out. It is looking to be a good release. Even if it isn't there is a chance that it will drive prices down on current cards.

Eyefinity can be trouble but it is usually in titles that are a bit older or ones that did not add support for it. BF3 should have no problems with it.

spirit

Staff member
fire r a g e said:
Don't listen to anything these guys say, most of the posts are untrue and the guys seem very arrogant on there. The guys on this forum don't have a clue what they're on about quite frankly, they're probably thinking the 7950 is the replacement for the old 6950 because it sounds the same.

The 7950 will beat a 6950 hands downs in the games especially at the higher resolutions and I think it's a good way to go because the 7950 is bang up to date with the 28nm process and the PCI Express 3.0 interface and yes as you mentioned in the thread it should beat the GTX 580. So get the 7950, and don't look back. You can Crossfire another 7950 later and get insane performance in the future. :)

Your CPU choice is good, that's a great chip you've chosen, the Corsair RAM which Wolfe kinked to is a good choice. Yep, a great system.

claptonman

Its just that some people are fine with around 45fps or lower/higher, but if you want really good framerates while also futureproofing yourself, the 7950 is the way to go.

About the eyefinity thing, I have no idea. I know Spesh and Bigfella play with three screens (not eyefinity, but the Nvidia option) so a PM to one of them might help.

And just because they don't like eyefinity, doesn't mean everyone doesn't.