BIG problem. need help!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try a different power supply. Is the power button on the front of the case stuck in the on position?

ScottALot

Suggestions in no specific order

-try a different socket on the wall
-follow the power button to the motherboard and see if it's loose or needs reseating
-does the power button have a light? if so, what does it do when it's turning on and off?
-tell me if this is a pre-built computer or one that you built yourself
-try a different PSU (like suggested above)
-unplug your system from the wall and just unplug-replug all the power cables
-probably not the problem: clear out some dust if there's a lot of it

MyCattMaxx

Is it a laptop or desktop.
If a desk top when was the last time the inside was cleaned out?
Are the cooling fans running?
What OS.

inferno14

its a pre built one. the button isnt stuck. its green colour when its on and just blank when its off. psu is alright. cooling was alright (i felt it and it was normal). its a desktop. its pretty clean.

i heard something about the reset button or something. what is that abt?

inferno14

hey guys, its not working. the power stays on for a while and then turns of by itself.im doing this now for my own built computer. please help me.

Deviousmind

Sorry bit confused here first its a prebuilt then in last post its for your own build?
What exactly are you using and what are the problems?

Aastii

VIP Member
when you say it is turning off and on, do you mean that you turn your computer on, it is fine for a bit, then turns itself off?

or do you mean it does that, yet also turns itself on again

If the latter, does it restart, as if you clicked restart from the start menu, or does it simply power down instantly, then start up again instantly?

If it is the first where it simply turns off, download HWmonitor from here:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

and check your temperatures

inferno14

im sorry, now im dealing with my own built computer. it has a biostar mobo. i plugged in all the cable but i didnt put in the graphic card. when i turn the switch on, the system runs for a while but it turns off by itself.

inferno14

i did some changes to it and now what exactly happens is that everytime i click on start windows normally, it turns off. do i have to do something to the bios or something before i start the computer up?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like the cpu is overheating. Did you use thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink?