Bit the bullet!! my first LC setup :)

deankenny

Im 29 now, and been building and playing with pcs since I was around 14, liquid cooling has always appealed to me, not so much for temps just because it looks damn cool. Anyway bit the bullet and ordered a kit yesterday which arrived today with Mayhems Mint Pastel liquid, very please with the results :) Considering its my first LC setup :)

10469358_10154227382875144_5397716505372071981_n.jpg

10434243_10154227382970144_2645771175635519971_n.jpg

10408684_10154227383090144_2007936524314727487_n.jpg

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Did you bleed the system? It looks like there's a crap ton of air in your lines.

deankenny

I watched plenty of youtube vids.

I used the connector mod to make the pump run, then stop it and refill, repeat, until the reservior stays full. Was told the air bubble would work their way out over time.

Although I cant see one air bubble :S So am confused, as I said my first LC loop, so if you could point out to me, would be great.

salvage-this

You can gently tap the tubes or tip the case a bit to see if you can knock the bubbles loose. If you have a pump where you can change the speed you can also use that to get a few more out of the lines. Just be careful.

Looks nice! How are the temps?

deankenny

You can gently tap the tubes or tip the case a bit to see if you can knock the bubbles loose. If you have a pump where you can change the speed you can also use that to get a few more out of the lines. Just be careful.

Looks nice! How are the temps?

I have looked real hard and can't see any bubbles am I blind ?

im on a 3570k overclocked to 4.5, from 4.4 to 4.5 I had to up the voltage tremendously, on my Noctua I was getting load prime temps of 88-90, on the lc loop max load temps hover about 70-73. I have a real bad chip also, So have to bear and grunt a few more degrees than most 3570k owners.

salvage-this

I don't see any, I was just commenting on other ways to get rid of them in the loop.

What voltages are you running for 4.5? Have you messed with changing the PLL voltages at all?

deankenny

1.2159v coretemp shows when I hit prime.

I have played with PLL and lowered it to the minimum and made no difference.

Okedokey

You should be able to go way higher than that... i run mine at 1.52V 5GHz constant, no issues, currently 13oC delta.

Im not saying you do that, you have a different chip, but to spend the time and effort watercooling to get 100MHz is pointless. Up the volts to 1.4 and the clock to 4.8GHz. See if it boots. If it does, test it.

Don't worry about the air. That will take days to come out, thats what the reservoir is for, just make sure the flow rate is good.

Also set the bios to shut down when the CPU gets above 70oC (rather than the standard 90oC) on a watercooling loop, because if the pump fails, it will get there almost straight away.

Also, how are you measuring temps? CPU packages, or cores, and with what program. I get those temps (Prime95 max heat) at 5.0GHz (granted i have a much larger radiator), so I think you've got a lot more head room.

Ensure that Q-fan is switched OFF in the bios and that the pump is connected to a molex and make sure the radiator fans ramp up with temp.

Also, do you have room to push-pull on the rad?

Apart from that nice work.

Here's mine (old photo):

_DSC0029.jpg

Last edited:

deankenny

Hi Okedokey, thanks so much for your informative response.
I have seriously bad chip, so asking to shut down at 70c will certainly shut down my comp instantly as soon as I click Prime.

I have both realtemp and coretemp to measure the temps.
The pump is connected to a molex and also turned to maximum pump level 5. I can apply 2 more fans on the top of the case, but I want to try and be minimilistic as possible, as LC for me was for looks just aswell as performance.

Q-Fan, I'll have to check.

Okedokey

Ok, cool, put some electrical tape, or zip-ties to 'lock' the molex - pump connection!!! Trust me :)

But seriously, bump that voltage and get some more GHz out of it. I reckon you sould get at least 4.7 on 1.4V. Even in gaming it will almost never hit 100%.

deankenny

Ok, cool, put some electrical tape, or zip-ties to 'lock' the molex - pump connection!!! Trust me :)

But seriously, bump that voltage and get some more GHz out of it. I reckon you sould get at least 4.7 on 1.4V. Even in gaming it will almost never hit 100%.

I know but even at just over 1.2v im getting load temps of 78c

Okedokey

Hmm, then you havent applied thermal paste correctly or something is definitely wrong.

Assume you mean Prime 95 at heat test? This is almost never going to happen in real life. I would reapply thermal paste, add more fans to the radiator and ensure you have the in and out on the water block connected correctly. Some have a specific way.

deankenny

Honestly Its just a seriously bad chip, on the Noctua I applied the paste over 20 times, and never could I get the temps to those of people I read up on forums.

I know its not the thermal paste application because no matter how I apply it, the temps never get any better.

Okedokey

Hmm dude, a lot of money for a few degrees and 100MHz. Still looks cool.

May be upgrade your chip???

I still think there's room here if you want to work through it. Over clocking potential differs, yes, but temperature shouldn't.