Black screen after boot

alfonzo

Hello,

One of my freinds mentioned to me that his computer is giving him a pain.

He said that once he boots it up, even in safe mode, after loading windows, eg. the desktop with its icons and things, the screen goes black.

I didn't want to check it out until I knew some things to try as I have never fixed a computer that was this bad.

I was wondering if you guys could help me try and estimate the problem and some possible solutions if your guess is the case.

I have not worked on a computer with a problem like this, but I always wanted to know what to do when this happens.

So any help here would be much appreciated

PC eye

banned
First take a look at the monitor to see if the light on that is going amber. That will show the monitor itself is going into standby. Everything on the drive could be working perfectly while the monitor itself is the problem. Once the startup processes are completed it's simply slipping into the standby mode no longer detecting the incoming signal it normally would.

bm23

my old com had that problem, or at least a similar one. the screen would often go black after the windows XP screen (with the blue bar running). the screen isnt totally black as if the power had shut off, rather, the back light is still glowing. i found out that this is due to graphic driver. you could try updating the driver.

PC eye

banned
I was thinking that would also be likely as well. If you have another monitor to try that would rule that out or simply confirm a possible suspicion. I still have an older lcd here that you can try booting with XP all day and not see anything.

Boot with the Vista installation and all works well when the lcd immediately detects the signal. Once the new lcd was in use no problems seen with no changes to XP. But without being able to see you can't update drivers either to see if that is the problem. Boot up in Safe mode and remove the card's software and drivers and then reboot normally to see if the problem remains.