black screen on boot.

curiou5

New to the forum.

Just built a new gaming comp only used the ssd from old one.
Turns on shows logo and the normal press F12 ect then goes to a black screen with a line of random symbols with a flashing underscore then the mouse and key bored stops working so can't do nothing any help. It did boot to the log in screen twice but couldn't log in or nothing as mouse and key bored stops working now just goes to the black screen.

Last edited:

curiou5

Thanks for the fast reply.

Is that the problem? Iv got windows installed on the boot disk the 60gig ssd will I be able to just unplug the 1t drive with all my games on and re plug it in after? So I don't loose everything as I have like 60 games on there

curiou5

Forgot to say I used the same cpu and hdd an ssd just has new mother board gpu psu and ram sound card and fan controller

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You will need to do a fresh install of windows on the ssd since it's a different motherboard then the previous one. Games and apps will need to be reinstalled. You will need to backup your game saves just in case.

Darren

Staff member
As John said you'll need to do a clean reinstall of Windows on the SSD. You can't just yank a hard drive out, plug it in to a different computer, and expect it to work.

If your games are on Steam and on the big hard drive you won't need to reinstall them actually. You can just run the steam.exe on the HDD after you've reinstalled Windows and it should basically fix itself so that it can run.

If they're not Steam you'll most likely need to reinstall them.

Okedokey

You don't need to reinstall windows, you simply need to repair the windows install by adding your new motherboard chipset drivers.

1. On a different computer, download and extract to cd, thumb drive, or external usb drive, the SATA/ACHI drivers for you new motherboard.
  2. On the new computer with the SSD attached, boot from the Windows install DVD and select repair my computer (after selecting Language and Region options).
  3. It will scan your drives, hopefully showing your windows drive. If so, let it try to repair automatically at least once. Come back to this point if that fails. You can click “no” here, and it will drop back to the window that shows your windows hard drive. Make sure the top radio button is selected and click next. It should bring up a list of links that you can click, the bottom one is “recovery console”, click that and select Command Prompt.
  4. Type: dism /image:c:\ /add-driver /Driver:X:\ /recurse

windows_7_dism_disc_boot_4.png

Where X is the drive that contains the chipset drivers (USB drive)
  5. Hit enter and it should find the drivers you extracted into the folder in the second step. After it does that, type “exit” and hit enter, then press the “Restart” button. When windows boots it will take a LONG time to get all the updated drivers.
  6. Then restart, and when Windows comes up, type in command prompt (admin) sfc /scannow
  7. Restart.
  8. Update Windows and other motherboard drivers.

Last edited:

Quickpaw

A new rig is the perfect time to get a fresh install of windows going.

If I were you I'd skip trying repairs, back up the data from the SSD so you don't lose anything, then wipe the SSD clean for a fresh install.