Blackberry Pearl

4W4K3

VIP Member
Not sure if this is the correct section, if it's not feel free to move it. :)

I am planning on getting a Blackberry Pearl and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it here? Any comments are welcome. Why i should get it, why I shouldn't, it's strengths or weaknesses, etc.

Although I REALLY don't want to pay for it, I'm thinking of getting the unlimited internet/e-mail access for it. Mainly so I can hook it up to my laptop and get internet off of it while in my car, at work, etc.

What I would be doing 99% of the time though is using my home/work WiFi internet, which is much faster than the $19.99 internet service...so I'm not sure if it would be worth the monthly charge. Apparently there are a lot of things you cannot do if you do not choose to get this internet/e-mail connection though.

One other thing is if you do not get the internet/e-mail package, the phone is not free. If you do, it's free plus a rebate so you "make" $100. In the long run you're still getting suckered but I think I can live with that.

EDIT - Hmm, or not. I do not believe this phone has integrated WiFi, just Bluetooth 2.0. Maybe I'm going to be looking at the Curve?

Last edited:

bigsaucybob

I have had much experience with both phones. I happen to own the curve.

The Pearl is great, it is small, very light and feels solid. I mean, depending on what service you are going with, the Pearl has different features. I know the one from Cingular doesn't offer Wi-Fi, or atleast the last time I checked it didn't. The only real downside of the pearl is the keyboard, it uses that SureType technology which isn't bad. I just prefer a full QWERTY to get things done.

The email function can't be used with out the data package, so it is worth purchasing. Although I might mention that the browser on the Blackberry is very poor and is absolutely nothing to rave about.

To the curve, I have had many many smartphones. Ranging from Blackberry's and Treo's to Windows Mobile phones. And I can safely say that the Curve is my favorite of them all. I really do like it, it is slim and durable and the keyboard is great.

What kind of service do you have? T-Mobile I am assuming.

If you have any more questions regarding either phone feel free to PM me or post it here.

HumanMage

I have the Pearl it's a very nice phone. I like it because I can get my emails on the fly and view web pages if need be. The keyboard took me a few days to get used to after using a Razr for years, however, the keyboard is very easy to use after you get over the learning curve. It's very customizable with the different themes, ring tones, and "wallpapers" you can use. All in all I am very happy with my purchase :) I think it would be a great phone for business people, but the average Joe can find much use in it as well.

4W4K3

VIP Member
What kind of service do you have? T-Mobile I am assuming.

If you have any more questions regarding either phone feel free to PM me or post it here.

I do have T-Mobile, I think I'm going to stick with them when I renew.

It looks like the only "free" Pearl T-Mobile offers right now is the 8100 and it does not include WiFi support or GPS, kind of a downer.

This leaves me a bit stuck. There is no way in hell I'm spending anywhere near $300 on a phone and then having to pay a ~$75/month phone bill. It's just not happening. I really can use the internet features and the full keyboard, but that's just too much money for a phone.

Actually if you roll it all into monthly payments that's more than my car insurance each month, a bit ridiculous.

ARGH! Cell phone companies suck.

bigsaucybob

I have been left in situations like this many times, the cell phone companies love screwing you over.

It really just comes down to how much you are willing to spend. I think I ended up paying $200 for my Curve and this was the one without Wi-Fi or GPS. I feel as if it was $200 well spent, considering I am using my phone almost all the time.

Also something else you might want to check out, I know Cingular and Verizon do this but I am not sure with T-Mobile. They require you to purchase the data package when getting a phone such as a Blackberry. I know when I got my phone, they made you get the data plan in order to get a $100 MIR.

Another thing to do, try calling T-Mobile customer support and telling them you love their service, but can't see paying $200+ for the Blackberry you want. Mention that Cingular is your next choice since they have the same phone for sub $200. You would be surprised how fast they would drop $50 off for you. But make sure you do it on the phone.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Well I just got off te phone with T-Mobile and they told me I couldn't have another active phone plan since I am currently on one of their "SmartAccess" plans (expires in 2 months.)

The only way I could get another phone is with a $75 activation fee, then I would have to switch to a family plan and share minutes in between the two phones. That would mean I'd have to pay full price for the Blackberry as well ($450?) and I wouldn't get any kind of discount.

Or I can wait until February and try again, at which time they'll probably just tell me I'm not approved again. Total crap, when I bought my current plan they made me go on a "SmartAccess" plan because I have no credit history, and after a year it seems they don't even look at your good payment record, they just want you to pay more money.

bigsaucybob

Damn, that's rough. Sometimes you just get screwed by the cell phone company and there is no way around it.

I would say just wait, don't bother buying a phone for full retail. It just isn't worth it.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Yeah I'm going to try again when I am out of contract. When I got my current phone I tried several different providers but was always rejected because of my lack of credit history. They all offered me pre-paid phones but that was it. T-Mobile was the only company willing to get me a contract type plan, even if it was SmartAccess. Hopefully after I've don the full 1 year plan with good payments they'll reconsider.

boostedpimp

I've owned both the 8300 curve and the pearl... and I'd have to say the curve is my favorite by far but.. I do have the data package so I use the email feature allot which is another reason why the curve gets my vote.. the three letters to each button crap of the pearl really annoys me.. and with the curve the keys are the same as a keyboard which really appeals to me .. just my .02s

and actually the curve is the newer of the two models

bigsaucybob

and actually the curve is the newer of the two models

Well, that depends on which company you are getting your phone from and which model of each you are getting.

Verizon has the most recent model of the Pearl which is newer than any model of the Curve.

But in reference to the model as a whole, yes the Curve is newer.

boostedpimp

Well, that depends on which company you are getting your phone from and which model of each you are getting.

Verizon has the most recent model of the Pearl which is newer than any model of the Curve.

But in reference to the model as a whole, yes the Curve is newer.

So basically the curve plateform is newer yes i know

SirKenin

banned
Blackberry?

I wouldn't. I have clients that have them and they can't stand them. I don't like them either. I had a Blackberry 7290 as well and I didn't like it.

I think the biggest problem with them is that they don't sync with Exchange out of the box, they like to crash, the phone quality isn't great, even at full volume it's hard to hear. The Bluetooth isn't very good when using them with Motorola headsets. They don't behave with Outlook 2007 and the Blackberry software doesn't get along well with Vista. I also got tired of dropped calls, failed calls, etc. I rely on my phone for business (I put 1500 minutes a month on them), so the Blackberry failed miserably.

First it was the Razr. It was garbage. Then the Blackberry. Hated it. Then the HTC Touch. That thing drove me insane. Then the HTC P4000.. Died in two weeks. Now I use a Palm Treo 700wx. It's ok.

Yes, I know.. That's over $2000 I've spent on cell phones and smartphones in the last year.. Maybe learn from my mistakes, if possible.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
I agree, i have had one blackberry and hated it. But you may like it. Every since i bought a Palm Treo 650, i have been hooked. Right now im with the treo 680 and lovin' it :p

4W4K3

VIP Member
I think the biggest problem with them is that they don't sync with Exchange out of the box

Don't use it.

The Bluetooth isn't very good when using them with Motorola headsets.

Don't have one.

They don't behave with Outlook 2007 and the Blackberry software doesn't get along well with Vista.

Don't use either.

I also got tired of dropped calls, failed calls, etc. I rely on my phone for business (I put 1500 minutes a month on them), so the Blackberry failed miserably.

What provider did you have? I've never had a problem with call quality or dropped calls with T-Mobile. I would hope the new Blackberry's aren't prone to either.

The rest of your post I find very informative to me. Seeing as how it will jsut be a personal phone for me, 0% "business" use I think I'll be able to avoid a lot of kinks most people have. Thanks for your input as I'm still looking around at other models as well. :)

4W4K3

VIP Member
I agree, i have had one blackberry and hated it. But you may like it. Every since i bought a Palm Treo 650, i have been hooked. Right now im with the treo 680 and lovin' it :p

I've always been wary of Palm devices since I had one of their first PDA's and it sucked hard. But I haven't looked at them since, maybe things are better :p. Are they "unlocked" phones capable of working with T-Mobile?

SirKenin

banned
For providers, I've been with Bell, Rogers and now Telus. Bell is a horrid comany, Rogers is even worse. $500 a month just couldn't buy me decent service, so I switched to Telus. It's much better, but they don't really have the policies in place to satisfactorily address the needs of demanding business clients. We've butted heads a couple of times.

Overall, they're decent. I use them for my mobile internet and cell phones. They're the lesser of the three evils.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
I've always been wary of Palm devices since I had one of their first PDA's and it sucked hard. But I haven't looked at them since, maybe things are better :p. Are they "unlocked" phones capable of working with T-Mobile?

Yeah the unlocked "GSM" phones on their website work with T-Mobile, but they are like $500 without a contract :(

I love them, thousands of mods and apps out there for palm OS :D

4W4K3

VIP Member
For providers, I've been with Bell, Rogers and now Telus. Bell is a horrid comany, Rogers is even worse. $500 a month just couldn't buy me decent service, so I switched to Telus. It's much better, but they don't really have the policies in place to satisfactorily address the needs of demanding business clients. We've butted heads a couple of times.

Overall, they're decent. I use them for my mobile internet and cell phones. They're the lesser of the three evils.

Are you in the UK or Canada? I've never heard of any of those providers so I probably can't get them here in the US. Right now with T-Mobile I'm paying $53/month, I'm willing to go to $75/month but not much more.

Yeah the unlocked "GSM" phones on their website work with T-Mobile, but they are like $500 without a contract :(

I love them, thousands of mods and apps out there for palm OS :D

Ah, yeah, most unlocked phones are really expensive. I'll look anyways, maybe I can get a used one cheap?

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
You can try ebay, or some of these palm sites and get one "refurbished". I got mine with a contract refurbished 680 (red) through att for $80 (yeah lucky me :p)

This is a trusty site, they have the grey 680 for $350 (refurb)
http://store.treocentral.com/content/smartphones/page-phone_overview-1072-info.htm.htm

after using these phones plus having touch screen, ill never go back

apps for these are awesome, heres mine with a vista theme on "Zlauncher"

but if these are out of your budget, just ignore me lol

FYI: both treos i have are refurbs, and they were brand new and wrapped up in plastic. I can honestly say, it doesn't look like either one ever left the factory

EDIT: the unlocked 680 on the palm site is $380

Last edited: