Blue screen oh noes !

spears

banned
well you live and learn..this is my first custom PC..and it has been a blast fixing it and adding fans and such..but i still have problems here and there...i dont mind cuz fixing my pc is actually fun for me..

sooo heres the deal.. i have a 480 watt PSU antec i think thats good enugh but once in a while my PC shuts off when i leave it on for more then like 24 hours...it goes to a blue screen for about 1 second then restarts back to the desktop.... I think its my PSU doing something wierd..

some other people say its bad ram

specs

amd 4200
7800GTX
1 gig corshair 2x512 pc3200 duel chanel
Mobo Asus a8n-e

my ram is the proper fit im assumin beacuse my PC is pretty much flawless besieds this..

thanks for you help in advance

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
look for a program called memtest, this will help check for memory errors. if you find errors try swapping your ram about and changing it for other sticks if possible to find the problem; if this yields nothing and you have memory errors it could be related to your processor because it has a built in memory controller.

also, try going to your system properties in the control panel and go to advanced and then click on the startup and recover options. then untick the automatically restart in the system failure section, this will let you see the message you get when your system crashes.

im not sure of the power requirements of a 7800gtx but i know it needs a lot. i think you have a powerful enough psu but i would check the voltages on it just to make sure they are not dropping too much, its possible that the voltages start to fluctuate a little after many hours of use.

gwakkawakka

Hairy_Lee said:
look for a program called memtest, this will help check for memory errors. if you find errors try swapping your ram about and changing it for other sticks if possible to find the problem; if this yields nothing and you have memory errors it could be related to your processor because it has a built in memory controller.

also, try going to your system properties in the control panel and go to advanced and then click on the startup and recover options. then untick the automatically restart in the system failure section, this will let you see the message you get when your system crashes.

im not sure of the power requirements of a 7800gtx but i know it needs a lot. i think you have a powerful enough psu but i would check the voltages on it just to make sure they are not dropping too much, its possible that the voltages start to fluctuate a little after many hours of use.

How can you find out if it's processor related? And if it is what can you do?

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
you can only tell its processor related by process of elimination, or if you have a cpu that you know that works and swap it to test