boot screen?

sypher822

is there a way i can change the boot screen background and the logon screen backgrond in windows, without having to download a piece of software..

if no can someone suggest a freeware program that would do this..
no trials please!!

thanks

smitherz

download LogonUI bootrandomizer.
This lets you change the logon and boot screen.
but be careful because if done wrong it can seriously mess up your computer.

smitherz :D

Rambo

Hiya!

Is this what you mean? When you want to logon to a user account?

Here's a pic:

logon-screen.gif

I know of a program that does this, and much more! It also doesn't need a licence.

It's by 'ObjectDesktop' and it's called 'Theme Manager'.

Take a look here:

Theme Manager

I do recommend you let a program do this though, becuase I think they back-up the original one just incase something dodgy happens. I mean, think about this.... You change the logon screen file, and the file is buggy. One of the bugs is that it doesn't let you logon :p How would you logon to change the logon screen back to the original logon screen?
(I must have said 'logon' 50 times :D)

There is probably a way to change it through MS-DOS, but who would want to do that?

:)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Praetor said:
You might be able to do it by resource editing the Logonui.exe file

:eek: ...lol

Unless you know what your doing... or you are following a tutorial... I advise you stay away from resource editing :D

Morb

The best simple solution

YES, it can be done through resource editing maybe :rolleyes: , but I think that more simplier way how to do that exists. In Windows(XP especially ;o) ALL system related things can be configured by the way of system registry. :)

Try this(it worked for me):

Start->Run->"Regedit"

Go to path/key:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

in this key, there have to be "Wallpaper" value present. It is character string. Change its value to path of your file.(must be BMP I think, like this - c:\wall.bmp)

Then restart computer.

If you want only change color of that background go to:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Colors

The value is "Background". Is in RGB format. This mean value 0 0 0 is black, 255 0 0 is red and so on. You've surelly understood, haven't you? :)

restart comp too.

Last edited:

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Morb said:
YES, it can be done through resource editing maybe :rolleyes:

With a hex editor you can get to many of the properties of the Logonui.exe.
and sypher822 was not talking about the desktop wallpaper....

sypher822, I have used WinCustomize, works great.

Morb

This setting changes background of the logon screen(background) not desktop(desktop can be modified directly Desktop(RC)->Properties->Desktop(tab)) :eek: . That is what Sypher882 wanted or didn't? :eek:

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Morb said:
This setting changes background of the logon screen(background) not desktop(desktop can be modified directly Desktop(RC)->Properties->Desktop(tab)) :eek: . That is what Sypher882 wanted or didn't? :eek:

hmm.. Yes, you are correct. I would have figured it was a little deeper in the registry.. guess not... I will try it and see :D