Boot up problem.. : /

EMO-TOCROSS

So randomly one morning I go to turn on my computer, bios logo page shows up.. the Windows XP Professional bar loading page shows up for about .5seconds until it is interupted with a blue screen with white font saying:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. etcetc.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safemode..blah blah

Technical information:

**STOP: 0x000000ED (bunch of random zero's and letters)

I tried turning off the computer and booting again in safemode, normal mode, safe mode - command prompt, recent windows settings, safe mode networkk.. all of them immediatly are brought to this error. I have tons of valuable files on this computer and this computer only, is there someway I can get around this error without having to insert my windows disc and formatting? :confused: Thanks for the help

codeman0013

Try putting the disk in and booting to the cd and when you boot to the cd do a repair on the windows by selecting the repair option and it will ask you to log into one of the copy's by default it should be #1 then type chkdsk /r and let it work that may fix your problem.

daygowop

i have had the same problem in the past. chkdsk /r usually fixes UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME like 90 percent of the time. good luck!!!

Dirkpitt289

And if that don't work put the OS disk in and try to format and re-install the OS. If that fails your drive is... Kaput!

Good luck