Booting Problems!

I have downloaded a bootskin from the wincustomize site on my media center laptop and applied it as my bootscreen. I rebooted my pc. It came up with the boot logo (ACER)
then the winxp logo briefly. A blue screen flashed just before the winxp screen could change to what i applied it to and restarted. IT kept doing this.

I have 12GB of documents, music and sentimental pictures I MUST recover! What do i do? I need the mediaq center back aswell! I was told it was less than 30% chance I would get my data back! please anyone! Desperate!

There must be some other way to get it back!!!!

munkyeetr

I would try either booting into Safe Mode (tap the F8 key as you restart) and from there uninstalling the offending bootskin, or (also using F8) use the Last Known Good Configuration.

See if those work.

Still Wont Boot

I have tried booting into Last known configuration, but it does it again and when I boot in safe mode, the driver display list never leaves the screen I wait for about 15 minutes but still no luck!!!!!!!

oscaryu1

VIP Member
get the hdd out and make it a slave in a computer. get a 2.5 to 3.5in adapter or a 2.5 external enclosure..

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
You could get yourself a USB notebook caddy and put the hard drive in there and plug it into any computer to get your data from. Very easily done and its always handy to have a caddy hanging around

hNic

yeah follow munkyeetr's advice...

what you did was mess up the ntoskrnl file which is necessary for XP to boot...i've made that mistake b4....it's shitty

adarsh

hi,
try inserting a system disk and initiate a clean boot, get in to the pc and uninstall the bootskin... a system disk is a floppy or a cd with the clean boot files. i recommend using a floppy...
a system disk can be created from any computer. insert a disk or a floppy , go to my computer go to the drive whr the disk is present.

right click and click on format, and put a tick mark on "Create an ms-dos startup disk".

and click start... after formatting, use this disk on ur pc/laptop and uninstall bootskin...

PS. PLEASE BE SURE THAT THE SYSTEM FROM WHICH U RE CREATING THE DISK IS VIRUS FREE
!!

hope this works