Bootmgr is missing

deanj20

Either hard disk failure or you've somehow corrupted the MBR.

Did you recently try repartitioning the drive, adding a second OS etc? If you haven't, you should download the bootable diagnostics CD for you HDD from the manufacturer's website and test the HDD. For the HDD in your sig, you can get it here: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/#FeatureTool

If you have tried some repartitioning, etc, please let us know what you did - the fix depends on the cause.

jhooga

Its actually Win XP and i havent done anything to it. Just threw it in on new build i was working on and that wa first thing to pop up. All the parts are new except for the Hard Drive

pym

XP shouldn't be using bootmgr, it should use ntldr. Was Vista or 7 on the hard drive previously?

deanj20

Well, check to be sure that the drive is set to master - what does it show up as under BIOS?

If it's set correctly, then I would definitely scan the drive with the manufacturer's utility.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can't take a hard drive that had windows installed on it from a previous machine and just throw it in a new machine and expect it to work properly as the motherboard has all new hardware on it. You will have to do a repair install at the least and possibly a fresh install. You will most likely have an issue getting the install reactivated though as its on a different computer.

deanj20

You can't take a hard drive that had windows installed on it from a previous machine and just throw it in a new machine and expect it to work properly as the motherboard has all new hardware on it. You will have to do a repair install at the least and possibly a fresh install. You will most likely have an issue getting the install reactivated though as its on a different computer.

While that is all true, it shouldn't cause a bootmgr error, afaik. But, yeah, a reinstall would fix everything. ;)

jhooga

well i threw it in planning on doing a fresh install of xp. I just wanted to boot from a disc and reformat the drive but i cant even get that far

Broni

VIP Member
What kind of disk do you have?
Did you check BIOS "boot order"?

Edit: didn't see John's reply :)

jhooga

i went in and made cdrom first on boot order, but wont recognize any of the discs i throw in. Ive tried linux distro and xp. I know discs work i have used both multiple times. it takes me to a hardware monitor and says insert boot media

rawcomputers

put in the winxp disk, choose recovery console, choose windows install to fix, type admin password, type c:\>fixmbr
should be good from there

sorry just saw post about not booting from cd - is your master/slave set right (if cd/hdd are on same ide cable)?

Last edited:

Broni

VIP Member
It won't work...
You can't take a hard drive that had windows installed on it from a previous machine and just throw it in a new machine and expect it to work properly as the motherboard has all new hardware on it.

jhooga

turns out i had a bad cd drive, threw in my spare and now everything works, got the drive reformatted windows loads up no problem now. Thanks for the help