broken wire

the_tds02

hi there guys im not to sure if ive got the right place to post this,but here it goes.i have a acer one ferrari 200 series netbook.unfortunately one of my family member pushed the lid right back by accident and caused both hinges to snap along with cutting through 2 wires on the top left.the wires are a black and a white one and they both lead into the screen area.im just wondering if these wires can be soldered in any way,as i want to fix this.it was only a couple of days old when i got it and it was quite alot of money back then.

heres some pics.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/saxo02/acer one ferrari/DSC_0080.jpg

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/saxo02/acer one ferrari/DSC_0085.jpg

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/saxo02/acer one ferrari/DSC_0083.jpg

be greatful if anyone could help me with this,im at a dead end and dont iknow where to start,thanks guys

tremmor

Its still hard to tell where it has to be soldered and terminated. My self i would try but have special equipment. My solder iron can be used on a smt motherboard. The tip is as thin as the led on a pencil and the solder is very thin. It will take a low watt. mine is temp controlled and grounded. The other thing you could do is talk to a small computer shop. They might be willing to try.

Last edited:

the_tds02

hi there thanks so much for reply.ive just been looking properly into it,it goes to the wlan card,is there any way i can just got a new wire atall?its only has 2 wires going into it and its definately the broken ones shown in the pics.thanks

PohTayToez

Yep, those black and white wireless lead to the main and auxiliary WiFi antennae on both sides of the top of the LCD. The way the wires are designed, you have one wire running through the center surrounded by a wire mesh which acts as a second wire, which would be very hard to solder back together.

You can get a replacement part that should work:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Internal-Antenn...418?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a67b53a8a

You will have to partially dissemble the laptop and maybe be a little creative to get everything to fit, but it should work.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
You can't repair those wires.

As PohTayToez suggested, buy a new set of antennas and replace them.

Get new hinges and replace them while you are at it, and your machine will be like new.

the_tds02

hi there guys thanks so much for your reply,your info is very helpful indeed,is there anyway i could actually get one of these straight off acer so i dont have to mess about trying to adapt?.ive found the hinges so ill get them ordered also.also the other hinge there was a black thick wire with a plug on the end i think this is the plug for the lcd,this was off when i opened up the computer is there a certain way of putting it in.also with the antenna wire which is broken will the computer turn on with out damageing it as i havent turned it on since i did it.thanks guys

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Sentence structure, man!

The LCD cable just plugs in... I've not seen one with any fancy locks on it like many of the other ribbons.

If you open up the bottom panels, you'll find one where you can access the wireless card. Just pull both the coax cables off the card and leave them live that-- this prevents inadvertently shorting out the wifi transceiver and causing you a little heartache there.

You should be able to find the antennas at Acer, or at least get the part number(s) and do a search on eBay for them-- new ones will cost more than used ones, but as long as the cables are in good shape, reclaimed antennas will work for you just fine.

the_tds02

hi guys thanks for reply.very much appreciated.

when i say LCD cable i think its the LCD cable.this was completely pulled out when i opened the laptop up.hope its not damaged,so these just clip back on?.here is a picture.
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/saxo02/acer one ferrari/DSC_0091.jpg

ive actually had the bottom off and i have located the wireless card so if i take the wires off ill be able to give it a go at turning it on once the lcd cable is in of course.thanks

the_tds02

thanks mate the computer has now turned on and the screen is all working.

was wondering ifnyone knows what to do if a login password is forgotten.its been quite a while since ive used this netbook and i cant remember the password.

cant believe its fixed almost lol so grateful to you guys for giving me a helping hand,thanks

Dngrsone

VIP Member
By default, the Windows XP Administrator password is blank.

If you have Vista or Win 7, then things are a bit more complicated...

PohTayToez

Sorry, but discussion of bypassing passwords isn't permitted on this site. The best I can tell you is to reinstall Windows which will allow you to reset the password.

PohTayToez

The computer may or may not have came with a disc. Most don't these days, they have what is called a recovery partition. When you first turn on the computer look for something that says "Press X for Recovery Partition" or something similar. "X" will likely be F10 or F12, and it may say "Recovery Console" or something else with the word Recovery in it.