Browsing becames a problem

lulumara

I did a Malwarebytes run and found one virus trojan but unable to get the real name of the virus so computer restart then after restarting no matter what browser I use it's all the same like this:

Oops! Firefox could not connect to www.computerforum.com

I even used IE, Opera or Firefox it always have some problem opening.Last time I was using them no problem just when I run Malwarebytes. I was thinking the Avira antivirus I had but when I deativate the Avira it's the same.

I can still open internet but usually it will die or will give you cannot connect? It's kinda annoying:confused to use it does not connect right away I have to redo connection time and time again.:confused::mad: Any help out here ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a usb flash drive can you install hijackthis to that machine and post a log from it?

lulumara

If you have a usb flash drive can you install hijackthis to that machine and post a log from it?

Thanks john35, I asked my internet provider support , it seems my Linksys router had the problem . But I called Linksys support they cannot help me because my Linksys is old that I need to buy a support payment so I'm stucked with out help on it. But I can use it without the router just I have to connect my modem direct to my computer. I had Linksys wrt54G wireless router, I went to this site:
http://www.topbits.com/how-to-setup-a-linksys-router.html
But I type ipconfig/release but the my computer cannot read it I'm using Window XP media. Any ideas ? Thanks.

lulumara

Anyone knows how to use Linksys setup , I went to their site but can't do it means doesn't work any advise?

bkribbs

Anyone knows how to use Linksys setup , I went to their site but can't do it means doesn't work any advise?

I have a linksys. What specifically do you need help with? Actually, I have the exact same router. If you plug it back in after resetting it, does it work? Unplug it, hold the reset button on the back for 30 seconds, then plug it in, while still holding it. Then reconnect to the router via WiFi or the Ethernet cable. Will it work then? I have to do this occasionally.

Last edited:

lulumara

I have a linksys. What specifically do you need help with? Actually, I have the exact same router. If you plug it back in after resetting it, does it work? Unplug it, hold the reset button on the back for 30 seconds, then plug it in, while still holding it. Then reconnect to the router via WiFi or the Ethernet cable. Will it work then? I have to do this occasionally.

I did what you said went to setup ,wep password, adminstration password also and save all the setting one by one but still no avail of internet after doing it? I did what this site said:

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/networks/aptnet/linksys/index.html

but I never got a chance to use internet after doing all this procedure.:confused:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
1. On the back of the router is a reset button. Press and hold it for about a minute while power is on.
2. Turn off computer, modem, router.
3. connect ethernet cable from modem to router, then another one
from router to computer.
4. Turn modem on and wait for it to sync up(all lights green), turn router on and let it sync up, turn computer on. Let me know if you get internet.

If you don't, then open up your browser and type 192.168.1.1, this is the ip address of the router and hit enter. When the login page comes up, leave user name blank and enter admin for password.

When the routers configuration page loads click on status on the far right. Look to see if there is a domain name listed along with IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and dns servers.

lulumara

1. On the back of the router is a reset button. Press and hold it for about a minute while power is on.
2. Turn off computer, modem, router.
3. connect ethernet cable from modem to router, then another one
from router to computer.
4. Turn modem on and wait for it to sync up(all lights green), turn router on and let it sync up, turn computer on. Let me know if you get internet.

If you don't, then open up your browser and type 192.168.1.1, this is the ip address of the router and hit enter. When the login page comes up, leave user name blank and enter admin for password.

When the routers configuration page loads click on status on the far right. Look to see if there is a domain name listed along with IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and dns servers.

I did what you told me closed all modem, router and computer no avail. Then I did resett the router and type 192.168.1.1 log in as admin -password, There's a IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and dns servers. What shoulld I do? Before that I copied all those things in my computer replaced the value but nothing also.:confused:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If linksys won't help you, try calling your internet provider to see if they can help.