Build a PC or buy a PS3?

Punky

Hey folks,

So I'm looking to add a little more gaming to my life. The PS3 looks pretty damn gorgeous and has some great games (and will continue to have great games in the future, as far as I know). It's a stable platform that I most likely won't have to upgrade or change in a major way for about 4-5 years. It would be something like a $500-$700 investment for the hardware, depending on how good of a deal I can find on Craigslist and through various channels.

But I'm also considering building my own PC for gaming, both to be a geek (I like building stuff, and learning new things) and to have an upgradeable game platform. However, while I doddered around in the late 90s, going through a 386 SX 25 up to a wonky 586, I got into laptops in college, and left desktop PCs behind. So I'm not the best hand at this stuff, but again, I'd like to learn.

Also, for general computing stuff (and DJing), I use an Apple Macbook, so it's not like I desperately need a computer for word processing, e-mail, websurfing, etc. This is really a decision made for gaming.

So can I build a gaming machine for around what I would pay for a Playstation 3? If not (and probably not..) how much would it cost me? What components should I consider?

If this is in the wrong forum, please let me know, and I'll move it.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Last edited:

Bradan

do you have a nice monitor, keyboard mouse etc?

i say go for a 360 xboxlive package... would be worth it.

Punky

It will depends on what type of game you are favour.

I'll play damn near anything. I've got a soft spot for space sims, but they're so rare these days. I'm DEFINITELY going to play Fallout 3 when it makes it out next year (it's part of the reason why I'm contemplating this decision).

I like some Japanese RPGs, and I'm a casual first person shooter fan. I love old school computer RPGs like Torment, Baldur's Gate, etc.

J

Punky

do you have a nice monitor, keyboard mouse etc?

i say go for a 360 xboxlive package... would be worth it.

No, i don't, unfortunately. I've got an ancient (but big!) CRT Dell monitor that I doubt would work with today's video cards, and I've got no mouse or keyboard. I've been working with laptops forever.

J

Kornowski

VIP Member
Your CRT monitow would be Ok with current graphic cards, it just may not have such a high resolution is all...

Punky

tells me the macbook is a POS

Very insightful. Thanks for the threadcrap. Can we not turn this into a Mac vs PC debate? You could've added some interesting bits about different monitor connectors, the pros and cons of each, and educated me, but instead, you basically decided to fling poo. Very ape-like. Please evolve a bit, then return with some actually helpful information.

jimmymac

VIP Member
The monitor wont be an issue at all, it will most likely have a VGA cable for it, if you were to get an up to date video card that only had DVI output on it then a VGA to DVI convertor would cost very little ($2-3)

I know plenty of people that still swear by CRT monitors as they do offer some decent advantages over LCD, they are just unfortunately extremely big!

So on to the subject at hand. Well a new PC build is going to cost more than the PS3 in terms of building something to give a similar performance but you do get the advantage of some pretty hefty bonus' in the PC. Its all round a better option due to the other things you can do with it apart from gaming (work, media, video creating, internet etc etc). Plus you can add an Xbox 360 controller to the PC without issue so the option of various input devices for your gaming is a nice little extra

If your willing to spend the money then I would say a PC would give a better all round option. However if you purely want to play games and nothing else then and not spend as much then the PS3 might be better....

Punky

The monitor wont be an issue at all, it will most likely have a VGA cable for it, if you were to get an up to date video card that only had DVI output on it then a VGA to DVI convertor would cost very little ($2-3)

I know plenty of people that still swear by CRT monitors as they do offer some decent advantages over LCD, they are just unfortunately extremely big!

So on to the subject at hand. Well a new PC build is going to cost more than the PS3 in terms of building something to give a similar performance but you do get the advantage of some pretty hefty bonus' in the PC. Its all round a better option due to the other things you can do with it apart from gaming (work, media, video creating, internet etc etc). Plus you can add an Xbox 360 controller to the PC without issue so the option of various input devices for your gaming is a nice little extra

If your willing to spend the money then I would say a PC would give a better all round option. However if you purely want to play games and nothing else then and not spend as much then the PS3 might be better....

Is there anything that having a PC will give me that my Macbook doesn't already? That's not meant snidely at all - I'm just thinking that I may be missing something.

Justin

jimmymac

VIP Member
Well not really i suppose, gaming would probably be an improvement but the macbook can pretty much do all the rest overall.

If you already have a Macbook then I would probably say lashing out on PC would be pointless. Mainly because you wouldnt have need for both. Basically one would become redundant.

IF you already have a decent enough Macbook to do all the "other" stuff then just get a PS3 for the gaming instead

HumanMage

I would go for building a PC, but if all your wanting to spend is $500-700 then it might be tough, but do-able (If I'm not mistaken). If your not looking to go above your said budget I'd go with the PS3 if thats what you want. If it were me, I'd go with a 360. There just seems to be more going for this system at the moment.

Punky

I would go for building a PC, but if all your wanting to spend is $500-700 then it might be tough, but do-able (If I'm not mistaken). If your not looking to go above your said budget I'd go with the PS3 if thats what you want. If it were me, I'd go with a 360. There just seems to be more going for this system at the moment.

My friend who's in games journalism let me know that a lot of third party manufacturers are jumping ship on the XBOX 260s though, which worries me.

Bradan

having said you have a mackbook and no pc peripherals at all, 700$ will not even close to get you a decent gaming pc vs a 360/ps3. imo.

the console is about the games man. with so many great titles for the 360, and a huge online community, id take that any day over the ps3.

ps3 controllers ftl too, 360 is so close to perfect except analog<mouse

heyman421

banned
just get a console

you already have a high-end computer, it just lacks for games

just supplement it with a standalone ps3 or xbox360 and call it a day

the entire system is the cost of a high-end video card. and all the latest games will come out for it.