Building a budget computer.....

amolyneaux

So I'm building a new computer for my nephew and the budget is $400 - $450 I've been shopping around on newegg and tigerdirect, but if you guys have any builds you'd like to share, I'd appreciate it.

davidandersson

That'll be hard... I'd advise not to go past a dual core, if that. The motherboard depends on your CPU, but when you go for a low end CPU generally the motherboard will be cheap. For ram I'd go for a low mhz crosair about 1 or 2 GB DDR or DDR2 (porbs DDR because DDR2 is at around 50-100 dollars, depending on how good you want it to be) and an on board graphics card (this depends on what he is going to use it for, if gaming I would advise at least a nVidia Geforce). If it has to include a screen, you can always go for an old fashion way and look for an analog screen, but the small LCD's won't be too expensive.

amolyneaux

No, I don't need the monitor, just the case and components. I have a 8800 GeForce card in storage somewhere, If I can manage to find that, it would save some cash...

davidandersson

So yea... If you use your graphics card, get a dual core and the corresponding motherboard. Your hdd won't have to be too big but they are generally cheap anyway. If he's going to do some gaming I would definitely take 2GB DDR2 ram and then you'll be fine...

daisymtc

$470, MIR $50 from newegg; I assume you will give your 8800 to him.

AMD Athlon II X2 240
Crucial 2 x 1GB DDR3 1333 CT2KIT12864BA1339
ASRock M3A785GMH/128M
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB
LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
GMC X-7 Black ABS / SECC steel Gaming ATX Mid Tower
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM